Who remembers the old Sheffield?

A day out at Western park museum, staring in horror at that polar bear and the wooden wrestlers in the case, followed by watching the model remote controlled boats on the lake in the park.

Jumpers for goal posts...

Big memories Roy. Going under Totley Tunnel with the lights out!!!! Some clever bird having unscrewed the light bulb with her toes????

Giving Keith Littlewood a wide berth at the Memo, although there were some good scrappers in our crowd. Reminds me of the advert on telly. Have you seen me dancin', really, really dancin'?

Pete, I remember that clever bird as well, i wonder what she,s doing now!!!!

hope you are keeping well, I,ve been following your item on the royal Navy.

Very interesting..regards,Roy

Wasn't the old Sheffield about 5 years ago before they demolished it all to build student flats and 'luxury appartments'? Every time I go into town now I have a new road scheme to contend with and there's gaping holes with cranes over them.

There's definitely a place for a new "Sheffield:Before and After" book....... before and after ridiculously high property prices led to a plague of pile 'em high developers.

I remember standing on penistone rd for what seemed like hours... for a 3 second look at the Queen... I remember saying to my mom... "Is that it?" Im sure it had something to do with the Silver Jubilee celebrations??:suspect:

I was more peed off because i played in hillsborough park as a child and you couldnt get in.... I love that park spent many a happy day in there, remember the old paddle boats?

The 'New Yorker'.

I think it is now something to do with the Juke Box business - that is if it is still open. I worked on the top floor of the Royal Mail building for centuries and saw the New Yorker and Juke Box each evening as I went home.

It was not little mesters workshops it was the Joseph Rodgers cutlery works, my grandfather started his apprenticeship there in 1912. It was used as the council's rent office in the late 60's early seventies.

I remember the takeaway when it was used as the office for a school of motoring, BSM I think.

Quite right. The cutlery works had three stone kettles in the brick/stonework of the building. When it was demolished and the Sheffiel Mechanised Letter Office and its admin offices above it were built, these stone kettles were incorporated into that building - one on the outside and two inside. They are still there.

I remember playing on the bombed sites on my way to school in the middle of town behind where Argos is now. Along Campo lane and through Paradise Square on to the Tram Sheds where there were more bombed buildings to play in. Balconies hanging crazily down which we climbed up and ran across and then up Solly St bombed right to up the school, heaps of rubble on both sides.

There were slot machines with pictures of chocolate bars that it was said could be had for a penny. Seemed like a fairy tale to me as I could not remember them working.

That's my memories of my old Sheffield.

hazel

That's right Hazel. My first memories of Sheffield centre were High Street, Pinstone Street and The Moor with as many bombed out buildings as ones which were open for business. I also remember being with relatives in the new Cockayne store (now Argos in Angel Street), and we couldn't get out for ages. This was because Princess Margaret was in Sheffield and the police had stopped traffic etc. for her to progress through the City centre - by royal limo, not walking.

The Magnet, Southey Green

The Ritz/David's Place, Southey Green

Chaucer Lower School

L & R Heath's & Bownes Chippy, Buchanan Rd, Parson Cross

Uncovered East Bank, Sheffield Wednesday (EBRA)

Wadsley Bridge Train Station

Herries Bus Garage, Herries Rd

The old/proper Law Bros Leppings Lane

Archived