Who remembers the old Sheffield?

I used to love the old buses with the open back. They were pretty cold in winter but because they were very slow if you were a bit late at the stop and it had just started pulling away you could still jump on

That's right Hazel. My first memories of Sheffield centre were High Street, Pinstone Street and The Moor with as many bombed out buildings as ones which were open for business. I also remember being with relatives in the new Cockayne store (now Argos in Angel Street), and we couldn't get out for ages. This was because Princess Margaret was in Sheffield and the police had stopped traffic etc. for her to progress through the City centre - by royal limo, not walking.

Cockaynes---what a marvellous shop.

You nudged my memory, I got my engagement ring there, it was victorian and second hand. Think the shop was a family concern, as was Walshs and Robert Brothers.

hazel

The Moor on Saturday nights when street vendors displays were lit up by gaslight,and it was crowded with people. Lamp lighters,gas lamps (which we would scrome up and swing on the arms) street tradesmen shouting their wares,Millhouses baths in the Summer,S & E Co-op Arcade at the bottom of Cemetery Rd,Lamb's shop at the bottom of the Moor,Vulcan's statue Moorhead, Regent cinema,Timpson's shoe shop,a meeting place for dates,

The lateat news in moving lights on the top of the Telegragh and Star building,Gloops the cat,and the 'Green 'un.

Gloops Burford

The Moor on Saturday nights when street vendors displays were lit up by gaslight,and it was crowded with people. Lamp lighters,gas lamps (which we would scrome up and swing on the arms) street tradesmen shouting their wares,Millhouses baths in the Summer,S & E Co-op Arcade at the bottom of Cemetery Rd,Lamb's shop at the bottom of the Moor,Vulcan's statue Moorhead, Regent cinema,Timpson's shoe shop,a meeting place for dates,

The lateat news in moving lights on the top of the Telegragh and Star building,Gloops the cat,and the 'Green 'un.

Gloops Burford

Thanks Blitzer. I shall show this to people I worked with, as they did not believe me when I said I remembered the news reports moving across Kemsley House in lights. I get comments like ' It's Sheffield, not New York'. Thanks again.

I too used to ride around on the trams and buses as a lad before the war But then it was only a halfpenny then The longest tram ride was Pinstone st to Meadowhead Back to town (another halfpenny) Then up to Sheffield Lane top(another halfpenny) Then back to Fitzallen Square (another halfpenny) Not a bad mileage for Twopence The bus cost a bit more A ride round on the inner circle cost Threepence but took an hour to get roundI'mm talking about 1934 How times change What happened to that lovely old Sheffield I used to know

I too used to ride around on the trams and buses as a lad before the war But then it was only a halfpenny then The longest tram ride was Pinstone st to Meadowhead Back to town (another halfpenny) Then up to Sheffield Lane top(another halfpenny) Then back to Fitzallen Square (another halfpenny) Not a bad mileage for Twopence The bus cost a bit more A ride round on the inner circle cost Threepence but took an hour to get roundI'mm talking about 1934 How times change What happened to that lovely old Sheffield I used to know

I remember it well Milted,great value transport. Those were the days too when electricity from the Corporation cost 3/8th's of a penny a unit. In today's currency,just about free. 1934,I have cause to remember that year alright,I spent 3 months in Lodge Moor hospital with Diphtheria. In those days

every patient was given a number,this was for friends and relations to follow your progress in the 'Star'. Headings of 'Dangerously ill,'to 'making satisfactory progress' were printed,and your number would appear in one of those categories. I'm afraid those days have gone forever Milted,and I don't

think I'd like to return to them - except for the prices!!

The thing i remember most about old Sheffield was the fairground that came at Xmas time when several small fairs joined to gether and they filled the fairground which was on Blonk Street along side the Victoria Station drive'My Dad always used to go on the Shamrock which was a big cage which swung over the River Don,i used to be scared in case it came off and landed in the Don and they got drowned.My Dad usually won a coconut for us, a rare treat in those days.Along with my mates we walked to town and used to stand at the top of the toilet steps in Fitzalan Square asking the men as they came up the steps"Have you got a cigarette card please mester",hoping we would get one of a famous footballer.We used to make our own entertainment in those days but never got into trouble like they do now with the excuse they are bored

• 1 month later...
i was thinking today about sheffield over the years whats gone but still remembered. I remember the hole in the road in town with the fish tank inside and all the subways where i used to run through. The old peace gardens and in the summer with the flowers and the council building now replaced by hotel and big green house. and how sheffield was through my 30 years growing up. Dose anyone those times even though im 30 still young

Hi I Probably go back the longest, I remember the theatre just below the Empire, burning down Iwoud be about 8 or 9at that time, at one time it was called the Adelphi, this was around 1932 Cheers Arthur,

jediwarrior

I think you'll find the fish were returned to the supplier John the Fishman at Stannington to go back into his breeding tanks.

He used to supply, restock and service the fish tanks as well as other restaurants, firms and business offices.

A bit late in answering but I hope this answers your question about the fish.

Happy Days!

Archived