Who remembers the old Sheffield?

Hello Blitzer The building you speak of that burned downwas indeed The Albert Hall My father took me there some time in 1932. I can't remember the title of the film,But I do remember that Paul Robeson singing "Ole man River" and yet the film was a silent I lived in the Park district at the time soalong with 20 or 30 others we all went charging up town to watch ( you could do that in those days) Around the same time, the Theater Royal caught fire and burned to the ground That was situated opposite where the Lyceum now stands I hope I have'nt given my age away ! But any road up, who cares !!

didn't Paul Robeson reprise the song "ol' man River" in the musical showboat, in the 1950s? (1951 iirc)

that song is one song that really makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, when Robeson's beautiful deep voice sings it.

my main memory of old sheffield (apart from the fish tank) has to be redgates toy store.

used to go down the escalator to the basement and turn left to see all the individual compartments of marbles. every kind of marble imaginable, just like a pick 'n' mix sweet shop!!!.

2p fares, sheaf valley baths, sheaf market, christmas lights up high street, lord mayors parade going up haymarket, the old bus station, the veranda

so many memories

Hello Blitzer The building you speak of that burned downwas indeed The Albert Hall My father took me there some time in 1932. I can't remember the title of the film,But I do remember that Paul Robeson singing "Ole man River" and yet the film was a silent I lived in the Park district at the time soalong with 20 or 30 others we all went charging up town to watch ( you could do that in those days) Around the same time, the Theater Royal caught fire and burned to the ground That was situated opposite where the Lyceum now stands I hope I have'nt given my age away ! But any road up, who cares !!

Hi Ted. What's it worth to keep quiet? Only joking. Hope all is well with you. Didn't The Albert Hall begin its life as a place of worship? Cheers - Nigel, in a flooded street.

Hello Plain Talker Now you have got me thinking Yes Paul Robeson certainly did sing "Old man river" in the Showboat but I am so certain that he also did in that film,even tho' it was nearly twenty years earlier. I also remember my parents thought he was a wonderful singer Maybe it's time I stopped thinking (don't answer that) pleaseI saw "Showboat" atthe Hippadrome Remember Gaylord somebody ? Lovely film and Lovey songs What's the saying "Don't make em like that no more" Kind regards.

Hello Nidge (Nigel) That was an interesting bit of information about the Albert Hall Never thought of it as a religious building As for keeping quiet,let it be our secret Cheers good friend p.s.I'd better be careful what I say Ted

Hi Milted,

I also remember seeing a film in the Albert Hall with my Mother,it was "Daddy

Longlegs"with I think,Janet Gaynor. There was another popular Paul Robeson

film around the mid 30's called "Sanders of the River".Think I saw that at the Regent. A few years ago,on a visit,I saw the monstrosity that had replaced the Regent,I could have wept. I also remember the Theatre Royal burned down. Did'nt they leave the site a waste land for years after? No-one can

doubt that we are a couple of ancients now!

Hello Plain Talker Now you have got me thinking Yes Paul Robeson certainly did sing "Old man river" in the Showboat but I am so certain that he also did in that film,even tho' it was nearly twenty years earlier. I also remember my parents thought he was a wonderful singer Maybe it's time I stopped thinking (don't answer that) pleaseI saw "Showboat" atthe Hippadrome Remember Gaylord somebody ? Lovely film and Lovey songs What's the saying "Don't make em like that no more" Kind regards.

you mean Howard Keel as Gaylord Ravenall?

Sorry, I'm an "Old Musicals Fan"

• 2 weeks later...

It was William Warfield who sang "Ol'Man River" in the 1951 film "Show Boat"

The Stone House when it was a bar in sort of a long corridor

Down Broadway club on High Street in the corner near Cavells

Dobcroft Road Youthclub

The Ark off Infirmary Road

Highway 61 club on Chesterfield Road at Heeley

The Locarno/Top Rank on Saturday day times

The Nether Edge Hall

Shades

The Buccaneer

The In & Out Cafe just off Charles St

Austins (Levi retailers) Arundel Gate