Who remembers the old Sheffield?

Just had a look at Paul Robeson and Showboat. Here it is. 1935.

Paul Robeson (1898-1976)

He first came to notice in the British production of Show Boat where his definitive version of Ol' Man River stopped the show. He played the same part in the 1932 Broadway revival and made his first feature "The Emperor Jones" the following year. He disliked this film for its patronising attitude to black people and returned to England to play an African Chief in "Saunders of the River". This film was far worse and Robeson publicly walked out of the premiere. He went back to America to film "Show Boat". From now on his contracts insisted on final cut approval and he returned to Britain to make five films in three years. The best of these films is The Proud Valley- the only one of his films he was proud of. He returned to America on the eve of WWII and made one more film before his political activities put him on the anti-communist blacklist. A lot of his time in these years was taken up by touring as "Othello": thought by many to be the definitive interpretation.

Hello Nigel

Lots of interestng information concerning "Showboat" and Paul Robeson Yes I remember Katherine Grayson singing "You are loved"in the pre war version of "Showboat" Beutiful Lady Beautiful voice But I am sure that Paul Robeson was in a silent film that I saw with my father That was just b

efore the "Albert Hall" burnt down about 1932? When did it catch fire?

Good to talk to you Nigel Ted

Hi Blitzer Now we both know we have got friends on the Forum Like you say we know and so does Nigel and he won't split But then again but I don't care any more I've lived and I got nowt,but Iv'e got all that I want Cheers mate,and welcome to the club !

Ted - The Albert Hall, Barkers Pool, opened on 15 October 1873 - with seating for 2104 persons. It was gutted by fire on 14 July 1937, and demolished in 1963 to make way for the new Cole Brothers store. Apart from being used as a cinema, it was used for religious services, and as a meeting hall.

In the original lyrics to OLD MAN RIVER (please excuse the words BUT it is true) the ****** word was used several times and when Paul Robeson agreed to the part he insisted that Hammerstein changed the words and replaced by words that werent insulting to the families of the slaves which the song was about really, Robesons demands were met.

The old 'rag and tag' market. I used to go with my mum and would hold on to her hand or coat all the time so I wouldn't get lost. Most of the time all I could see were legs!

What about the old Pond Street bus station? How many people must have met at the kiosk over the years? Pond Street Nora, the cafe filled with bus drivers and conductors (remember them?), the map that lit up various places and services whilst in the middle it proudly proclaimed "You are here".

God I remember that map, you pressed a button and the location lit up with a little light, loved it when I was a little kid, I also remember the Arcade of the Moor (think it was called the Golden penny) used to spend hours in there on the 'Defender' machine (this was about 1981). I remember the cafe for the drivers and how it was always full of smoke.

My sister worked in a cafe in the old bus station, don't remember its name but it used to be near the entrance near the escalators that went up to the overhead crossing bridge.

I remember how Fargate used to be a place for all the kids to hang around on Saturdays and remember the break dancing crews that used to do their stuff there (80's again).

The Peace Gardens were a great place to, if you avoided the Whino's :loopy:and rockers, the thing that sticks in my mind though was Sheffield used to be a much better place to just spend a day hanging around in (town centre), now it just seems to be soulless and full of cheap shops.

I also remember queuing to see Star Wars at the ABC, the queue was so long, shame they knocked it down.

Millhouses park was brilliant, the Lido was amazing (despite the cold water and dead wasps), spent many long hot summer days there.

I left Sheffield in 1987 and I still have family living there, but to be honest it just depresses me going back, I live in York and its just so nice compared to Sheffield, don't get me wrong I love the old town I just think its a shame how much its changed (though not for the better), I do like the railway station fountain though thats cool.

rikimaru -

Sheffield went through some very hard times, particularly in the 1980s and then had to compete with Meadowhall in the 1990s. To its credit, it didn't curl up and die and IMO the city centre is back on its feet. Admittedly, there are areas that are still awaiting refurbishing - namely, the Moor - but I find myself in the city centre more nowadays than I ever did, be it the 1970s, '80s or the '90s. True, the shops could be better especially on Fargate which is full of phone shops but the likes of River Island and H & M have put their faith in this region which can't be a bad sign.

The Winter Gardens and Millennium Square are stunning with new restaurants opening (I'm particularly impressed with Piccolinos) and the place is a delight to be in (which my family and I visit quite often on Sundays). Leopold Square has recently opened and this is another feather in Sheffield City Centre's cap. Barker's Pool with its twin fountains and the Cathedral quarter are also impressive. The railway station forecourt is magnificent.

In short, we've a lot to feel proud of yet I know there is more to do. (At least we got Supertram and not those ridiculous 'ftr' buses that struggle to get round York!!)

Only yesterday, in the awful rain, my family and I went down town (to see Shrek the Third at Odeon). We walked up to RSVP afterwards. For such a rainy day, town was quite busy and we were not short of places to go. I feel more positive about our city centre than I ever have done and enjoy spending time down there.

But I still and always will prefer York's pubs (especially the Blue Bell)!!

Archived