Pregnant and flying and doctors letter

LAst time i had to have a letter from my doctor to say i could fly after 28-34weeks for my insurance. just been today and doc says i dont need one but will do one anyway for £25. does anyone know what the law is on this? last time i was asked on the way home for proof i could fly.

LAst time i had to have a letter from my doctor to say i could fly after 28-34weeks for my insurance. just been today and doc says i dont need one but will do one anyway for £25. does anyone know what the law is on this? last time i was asked on the way home for proof i could fly.

Probably best to contact the airline that you're flying with and your travel insurance provider to ask them if they require one, I dont think theres a law about this as such, just down to the individual company to decide if they want to risk you going into labour on their plane or not!

You would be better getting one because as you state you were asked on your way home. Different country different laws. Better being safe than sorry.

think im going to - for sake of £25 i dont want to be stuck in SPain...or do i?:D

Check with the airline. We flew back from Dubai last weekend and Qatar Airlines refused to allow a pregnant woman in the check-in queue in front of us to fly. She was about 32 weeks and had a letter from her own doctor to say everything was ok, but the airline wanted their doctor to examine her. The flight was at midnight so she couldn't be seen by the other doctor until the following day. She and her husband were heading home to England having spent 2 years in Dubai. They'd sold up everything so had nowhere to stay and had masses of luggage. Needless to say she was devastated.

Airlines are free to set their own rules about how pregant a woman can be and still fly. Some airlines will carry you up to 36 weeks with a doctors note but others will set the value much lower. They do this for a number of reasons but the main one is that it is a bad idea to fly when you are pregnant, so you shouldn't do so unless you really have to and a holiday isn't a good reason. An aircraft environment isn't good for you and you will be particularly prone to deep vein thombosis.

Airlines are free to set their own rules about how pregant a woman can be and still fly. Some airlines will carry you up to 36 weeks with a doctors note but others will set the value much lower. They do this for a number of reasons but the main one is that it is a bad idea to fly when you are pregnant, so you shouldn't do so unless you really have to and a holiday isn't a good reason. An aircraft environment isn't good for you and you will be particularly prone to deep vein thombosis.

tend to disagree with last part-holiday is the best thing while pregnant! lots of fresh air, walking and qual time with hubby! luckily im a shorty so have plenty of room on flights and my boy can sit on daddys knee!

just off to grab my letter now-cant wait to go!

Archived