Green Shield Stamps

Just clearing out old rubbish found an old Green Shield Stamp Book which brought back memories. I got spot lamps for my first car a Cortina Reg 271 JWA. You used to get extra stamps on petrol when you used to have "Long Shots" of Red X 4 Shots per 4 gallons.

I can also remember the S&H Stamps that I think were Pink usually given in Supermarkets.

Can anyone remember

Yes I collected green shield stamps I remember getting a teddy bear for my daughter 36 years ago at a shop on the Moor somewhere near where Argos is now also 2 vaccum flasks which I still have. Dont know what happened to the teddy though.

Silly,

the green shield stamp shop was just at the back of the moor, as flashbang has said in a previous post.

it was up the side of Roberts brothers store, on the corner of charter row and Furnival (gate? where presto / gwat shops was, at the side of chesham house DSS building, anyway) it's now the lighting shop, was wilson peck music sho for a time.

• 5 months later...
I used to collect green shied stamps and even worked a little while in the green shield shop on the moor in the late 1960's.

Whereabouts on the moor was the green Shield Stamp- shop? Was it on the moor before or after it was in the shop on Charter row?

I remember, very well indeed, it being on the corner of Furnival Way and Charter row, in the building that is now the "After Dark" lighting shop, but for all the vivid memories I have of my mother "dragging" my sister and I there as very young children in the mid sixties/ early seventies, I can't remember her ever taking us to a shop on the moor with the GSS.

I remember it was very like Argos, in the way it operated, you chose the item out of a catalogue, and placed your order at the counter, handed your GSS books over in payment, and recieved the item a few minutes later.

I remember it was very like Argos, in the way it operated, you chose the item out of a catalogue, and placed your order at the counter, handed your GSS books over in payment, and recieved the item a few minutes later.

That's almost right PT, but don't you remember that you had to wait for ages while they checked that all the pages in the stamp books were full.:)

I collected Green Shield Stamps and bought my first kettle with them when I left home.

I also remember sticking them in the book for my mum it used to take ages to stick them all in and I was pleased when I got a large one (cant remember the value of the large ones).

Archived