Green Shield Stamps

I collected Green Shield Stamps and bought my first kettle with them when I left home.

I also remember sticking them in the book for my mum it used to take ages to stick them all in and I was pleased when I got a large one (cant remember the value of the large ones).

Gosh, yeah, that's right! They had to check the books were full!

I'd forgotten about that.

I just remember the checking through the catalogue, and ordering the thing you had selected from the counter, like in Argos, and having to hand "so-many books over" for the item you wanted, eg a toaster was something like 20 books, a hoover was fifty books, or summat daft like that. (can't remember the exact amount of the item)

I remember me and my sister, standing around, waiting, in the shop, with glass cabinets on the walls with stuff displayed in them.

Were the payments for stuff from the GSS soleley in the GS-stamps, or could you pay, say, five books and thirty-bob for a toaster priced at 10 books? (My mind is foggy about that.)

My gran used to colect them then give them to me, so I used to pay my Mum board and lodgings with them:hihi:

Anyone remember the one-armed bandits that used to pay out GS stamps instead of money?

I remember my father being focused on buying petrol for a 'green shields' garage. I think we only every received kitchen 'things' - there was a set of "Prestige" kitchen tools.

In the direct marketing workld this must have been one of the first 'loyalty programs' - ie an incentive to return to the same store to purchase a generic product.

I remember my father being focused on buying petrol for a 'green shields' garage. I think we only every received kitchen 'things' - there was a set of "Prestige" kitchen tools.

In the direct marketing world this must have been one of the first 'loyalty programs' - ie an incentive to return to the same store to purchase a generic product (one you could buy anywhere else).

Here is a bit of info on the history of the stamps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Shield_Stamps

Can many people remember that "Green Shield Stamps" morphed into ARGOS

Yes I remember you went into Argos and the shop split in two and the right hand side which later became the jewelry counter was Green shield stamps the left hand side was argos I think that this was before it moved round the corner as Argos got bigger.

Archived