Whitsuntide traditions

kirky

Yeh I remember Whitsuntide too !! God I feel old now...we had new outfits..both me and my sister..both dressed alike...hats..gloves..handbags..ankle socks and new shoes...thought we looked the bees knees !!! Then mom and dad used to take us to the bottom of our road..and watch all the boys brigade bands from various churches in the area all march pass...and on into Endcliffe Park...Oh god.. I did used to like it...and then every so often the local boys brigade band used to march round our streets on a sunday morning...dont see that now do you..mind you..kids today would think that was absolutely crazy wouldnt they?? Oh shame alls these old traditions have vanished isnt it...I have a much older brother and sister and they went through the same ritual too...they loved it as well...my kids now have no idea what whitsuntide is...

Oh another one of us what remembers..Hey....church I used to go to did a play with the may queen...can remember one year dressing up in grass skirt..blacked face etc etc...god it took my mom days to scrub my face clean...it was red raw by the time she'd got it all off.....oh happy childhood memories....lol

does anyone know wen this is as children we used to get a new outfit and went around all our neighbours to show them our outfit and in return used to get bits of money for sweets oh they wer the days :):)

God yeah I remember that, trolling round the streets of Hackenthorpe in our new clobber getting money for spice off the neighbors, sounds almost Dickensian now dunnit??

I remember being made a dress for whitsun ! I loved the whit sing in Graves park. all the churches together marching to Graves park. I don't know why it stopped but I wish it hadn't as it brought the community together.

My uncle used to take lots of cine films of the family on different occasions, and he recently put them all on to DVD's. There's a brill one where his daughter, my sister and I come trooping down the garden path in all our finery on Whit Sunday - my kids think its hilarious!