Whitsuntide traditions

kirky

Whitsuntide was a great time for us as youngsters in the 50's & 60's. New clothes for Whit Sunday to Chapel at Grimesthorpe Reform. Then parade to Firth Park on Monday morning & it never seemed to rain. The whole route was lined with many people watching.

Here are a few photos:

1952 going up to park

whitwalk1952.jpg

1952 coming back

Lifeboysabt1952-1.jpg

1961 Starting off up to park ( I am the side drummer at the front on right)

whit1961.jpg

On monday afternoon we had sports in Firth Park followed by a tea at Chapel. Every Whit Tuesday the chapel had a hike in Derbyshire.

All really memorable. I am sad that kids today don't get such opportunities to enjoy themselves.

Edited by johnpm

Whitsuntide clothes... Here we are in 1951 & 1955 ('m the little 'un). Whit walks were very much a feature of Whitsuntide into the 1960s. Ours ended in Hillsborough Park where there was a large gathering. An earlier age is depicted here - a photo taken in the park in 1906.
What lovely photos, Hillsbro! I also remember Whitsuntide gatherings in Hillsborough Park. We would go to watch the procession along Middlewood Road. Some of the churches and chapels would have bands with bugles, drums etc. The 1906 photo is fascinating - if only to show the clothes that people wore then!

The theme seems to involve new clothes, I can recall before & even during the war when new clothes were scarce. We youngsters visited all our relatives who gave us a couple of pennies slipped into a pocket. I may be wrong but did Whitsunday come 6 weeks after Easter? What was its origin?

Whit Sunday has its origin in the feast of Pentecost, seven weeks after Easter. See for example Wikipedia here. Growing up in the 1950s, Whitsuntide was almost the only time we ever had new clothes, and I also remember visiting various relatives and coming home a bit richer!.:)

• 1 month later...

I am new to this, but here goes. I remember whitsuntide so well.am 55 born in pitsmoor and moved to parson cross around 1958? Being 1 off 7 like all, we used to have new clothes and go and show them off, mostley to aunts uncles. Mum Dad Lindley use to take us to pistmoor hotel in the 60s where my aunty ada use to work. We all use to sit in the back yard drinking orangina and eating nibbits. Could cry thinking about it, great days.

so My maiden is Lindley Dad Charles (Ted) Mums maiden name Beresford {Nellie}

I remember having new clothes for Whit Sunday and going round to relatives and neighbours to show them off then spending all the money I got on sweets. We also had new white pumps for Whit Monday when we used to go to Graves Park for games, races and all sorts of things. We looked forward to it all year, it was brilliant.

Reading these posts has been an absolute joy, especially looking at the photos. I'm originally from Firth Park and remember Whitsuntide so well. It was the only time we got completely kitted out in new clothes, the rest of the year mom would make something from larger handmedowns or get the knitting needles out. We were always so proud of our new clothes, even little white lacey gloves, loved the marches and the games afterwards, am I right in thinking the Star walk was the day after whit sunday?

Reading these posts has been an absolute joy, especially looking at the photos. I'm originally from Firth Park and remember Whitsuntide so well. It was the only time we got completely kitted out in new clothes, the rest of the year mom would make something from larger handmedowns or get the knitting needles out. We were always so proud of our new clothes, even little white lacey gloves, loved the marches and the games afterwards, am I right in thinking the Star walk was the day after whit sunday?

No it was on the Tuesday

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I remember Whit, I used to go to woodbourn rd methodist chapel and every whit sunday we used to go with the boys brigade and the floats marching up to highhazels park and collecting for some charity, it was great. when I was little we always had a new outfit for whit and went round the neighbours to show them our new clothes