Whitsuntide traditions

kirky

Remember it well, one endearing memory was having to go round all the relations showing the clothes off. But always looked smart over Whitsuntide:hihi:, rest of time my mum got my clothes from Army & Navy Stores.

I was the only kid in my school dressed as a Japanese general

The old ones are best!like "We were so poor as kids that if I hadn,t been born a boy I wouldn,t have had anything to play with!".:roll::confused:

Here is me (on right) & my friend Phillip Nicholas in our new Whitsuntide clothes in 1950. What a pair of bobbydazzlers we were !

johnphillipwhit1950.jpg

very smart the pair of you,scrubbed clean knees as well :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 14:15 ----------

Aged three I didn't yet qualify for Whitsuntide clothes, but my big sister and brother did. I hope I don't look jealous in the 1951 photo..:?

bet you wore your brothers suit the year after though:hihi:

• 2 months later...

yes I remember going round the street showing the neighbours our new clothes .they would give us a few coppers then an hour or two after straight home to have em checked then back in the wardrobe.to wear later our suits were always from a jack travis. down Attercliffe good days .