Whitsuntide traditions

kirky

yer I remember being dragged down to blanchards on imfirmary rd with my sister. I got new coat, short trousers, shoes, all very formal all a size to big cause I would grow into it, my sister always had a new dress underwear white shoes and sandels, we both got another casual out fit for whit Monday to go to firth park to see the floats :love:

I remember going back to the late 40s & 50s we always had new clothes for Whitsunday & Monday.My mother was good at dressmaking and dressed my sister and myself alike which I hated,my sister being 5years younger than me.We lived on the Wybourn at the time and would go to Lisa Brinz on South St for new liberty bodices, vests, knickers and white ankle socks.We would get dressed in our new outfits which my mother had made and go round all the relatives and nieghbours showing off, if we were lucky we would be given sixpence as soon as we had done the rounds we had to take the clothes off they had to be put away and kept for best.Whit Monday we would have a new home made dress and brown T bar sandals, always brown.oh happy days

I remember my Mum making me and my sister wear these. With loops on to fasten round the buttons on your knickers!!!!

yer I remember being dragged down to blanchards on imfirmary rd with my sister. I got new coat, short trousers, shoes, all very formal all a size to big cause I would grow into it, my sister always had a new dress underwear white shoes and sandels, we both got another casual out fit for whit Monday to go to firth park to see the floats :love:

Me too I think I also got my first pair of long trousers from there at the age of 14.

Provident cheques were the way to go and the guy came round every couple of weeks to collect the money. Clothes on HP and they think these are hard times.

very smart the pair of you,scrubbed clean knees as well :hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 06-02-2014 at 14:15 ----------

bet you wore your brothers suit the year after though:hihi:

We always wore hand-me-downs.

I was O.K., being the eldest .

My sister , being two years younger, didn,t look to bad in my shorts but , my brother who was the youngest wasn,t to happy with what he got ... But we don,t talk about that . :hihi:

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 16:24 ----------

yes I remember going round the street showing the neighbours our new clothes .they would give us a few coppers then an hour or two after straight home to have em checked then back in the wardrobe.to wear later our suits were always from a jack travis. down Attercliffe good days .

We used to do the same. The neighbours used to give us a few coppers .

When my mother found out she went APE. Called us beggers and insisted we did it no more .

But the following year the reward was to great .

I found this thread after telling my hubby about the Whitsuntide tradition of new clothes from underwear upwards. I have always lived in leeds as he has but he didn't have this tradition in his family. We used to always have a new dress, new duster coat, hat, handbag and shoes and yes we would go to all the neighbours in the street and get money for showing off our Whitsy clothes. As has been said I don't know how mum afforded it for the 4 of us but she did every year. I can't remember when this tradition disappeared. We did this in the late 50's into the early 60's. Can anyone else remember duster coats?