Whitsuntide traditions

kirky

I found this thread after telling my hubby about the Whitsuntide tradition of new clothes from underwear upwards. I have always lived in leeds as he has but he didn't have this tradition in his family. We used to always have a new dress, new duster coat, hat, handbag and shoes and yes we would go to all the neighbours in the street and get money for showing off our Whitsy clothes. As has been said I don't know how mum afforded it for the 4 of us but she did every year. I can't remember when this tradition disappeared. We did this in the late 50's into the early 60's. Can anyone else remember duster coats?

Yes, I remember duster coats, they splayed out from just under the bust. Always came in pastel shades. Very Doris Day!! I don`t know how they got their name but can only imagine it was because when you turned quickly in them you dusted everything around you.

• 2 years later...

Here is a photo of Reform Chapel group at Whit Sing in Firth Park; Amy & Charlie Wise, Dora Reynolds, Ken Morris, Bessie Cusworth, George Hewitt & others can be seen centre left. Kath Lynch just in front of banner pole. Early 1950's.

park2.jpg

Edited by johnpm