Whitsuntide traditions

kirky

As a child I would love Whitsun ,Harvest fest' and all those good times,but very soon got sour with all the ilogical lies,not all, but alot of children are just not that gullibile.History or a way of life is better teaching, and would carry longer into adult life

• 1 month later...

Yes Pam, I remember whitsuntide, we also had a whit walk with bands from church, etc. we then all met up inMeersbrook Park, here there was all sorts of thngs going off, games etc. it was a great day and I remember everybody was so friendly, there was never no trouble.

Hi, my name is Pamela Ward. I am a singer and was born in Sheffield.

One of my fondest memories of childhood is Whitsuntide. We use to get new clothes, show them off to friends and relations who would give us some money, and then go on the Whit walks.

I recently wrote a song called "Whitsuntide Clothes" about this tradition, which is sadly dying out but I wanted to keep the memory alive.

I was interviewed on Radio Sheffield and received a lot of enquiries from listeners after the interview. It brought back many memories. If anyone is interested you can hear it on my website http://www.pamelaward.co.uk/jofg.htm and there are also photos of Whit Sings on http://www.pamelaward.co.uk/pictures.htm

Does anyone remember the Whit Walks.

I used to love Whitsuntide too!! Yes the new clothes and shoes. Did you have the little lacy nylon gloves to go with the bag that you collected your money in? (only the girls) We used to go to Meersbrook Park where my dad used to meet old schoolfriends once a year. Then we would go to the Red Lion pub and sit in the garden at the back and after as a real treat would go to Lin Hongs Chinese resaurant. I used to love it!!! It all changed when they changed the school holidays to Spring Bank which fell slightly different from the religious calendar - I think. Happy memories. p.s. I remember liberty bodices too.

My mum used to buy our clothes from Banners (on the tick!) Then it was round the neighbours and relatives who gave you a few bob. After that everyone met at the local church and marched down to Firth Park to meet all the other processions. The bands played and we spent our money on ice cream and the little fair. Pure magic at the time, somehow I don't think young un's now would appreciate it all! Yes lozzybird it WAS always sunny! :)

• 4 weeks later...

i remember whitsuntide when i was a kid,going round neighbours houses to show them my new clothes,and getting a treat or money. i can always remember always having gloves on to match my outfit and a hat. just before whitsun i can remember my mum laying my clothes away at the shop. happy days then,but sadly this tradition has now stopped and is not practised anymore. from staffie

When I was teaching we used to observe Whitsun.

Also when I was a child we had new clothes for Whitsun (or the birds would poop on you apparently, according to my mother).

It was always the time to give that pair of clarks or marks and sparks sandals an airing.

Hi, yes, I remember Whitsuntide, the Whit sing in Meersbrook Park. I loved it as a little girl. I used to go with the Salvation Army from Kent Road -they always had the best band! The Captain and May Queen used to lead the procession and church after church would be singing, playing and displaying their church flags. The park used to be packed and it WAS always hot! By the time it was my turn to be May Queen, they had stopped but our local Church of the Nazarene at Heeley still keep up the tradition, along with the other churches in Heeley, Meersbrook and Norton. They go to Meersbrook park every year with a PA system and they're's games for the kids, it's still good but not quite on the scale it used to be. This year, I think they're organising something on Taggys field near Heeley City Farm.