Whitsuntide traditions

kirky

In the 1920/30's,it was traditional,at Whitsuntide,for boys and girls to get new clothes (Whitsuntide clothes). Suits,dresses,shirts, blouses,and shoes,or in the case of boys,boots. Then on Whit Sunday,we would go round to the neighbours and show our new clothes off. " Ee Tom come and look at

young so and so,does'nt he look smart in his new suit"? Then she would say the majic words " I'll just go and get my purse",which was the object of the excercise of course. It was usually a penny,but to us it was a fortune,and a good way to make some money. As it is round about Whitsuntide,I wonder if the tradition is still kept?

I used to do this in the late forties when I was about 8 years old. Being a cheeky devil I used to go to complete strangers houses and still get a penny or two.

Don't think its still on the go in Sheffield but would be interested to find out.

Yep I remember it was the only time of year that you got any half decent clothes to wear. The rest of the year it was my older brothers hand me downs & being the youngest of five brothers you can guess the state of them when I got them.

I used to do this in the late forties when I was about 8 years old. Being a cheeky devil I used to go to complete strangers houses and still get a penny or two.

Don't think its still on the go in Sheffield but would be interested to find out.

The Forties?????? i remember getting whitsuntide clothes in the seventies. Why is this no longer done!

Just like BLITZER says, we were the same ,4 lads all dressed smart with little caps on. the clothes were from Burgesses down Attercliffe and i,m sure our Mum took all year to pay for them.

After the Whit walk in Hillsborough Park we would go home,get changed and then go to a field up Ben lane with the Sunday school and have a sort of sports day...funny how the weather always seeme to be sunny!

The Forties?????? i remember getting whitsuntide clothes in the seventies. Why is this no longer done!

Whitsuntide was a christian religeous holiday. Now its called Springbank Holiday. I don't know why it had its name changed.

I can remember it to (i was born 1970) I got new clothes and went to stop with my nannan and grandad in their caravan at skeggy :D this went on for years then just fizzled out, i thought it was cos i had gotten older. I was talkin to my hubby about whitsuntide and new clothes but he cant remember it

I remember having Whitsuntide clothes in the 50s but I think the tradition faded as the country got more affluent and it had just about gone by the 70s.Does anybody know if it was the custom throughout the UK or was it only in the north?Fred Pass tells a hilarious story about one of his Whitsuntide experiences in his excellent book 'Weer's me Dad'.

I always had new whitsuntide outfits - my mother made them - they were beautiful - often a dress and matching coat. I got to choose the little bag and shoes to match. I remember going to a parade at Hollingsend (Park?). tTis was late 50's early 60's.

i can remember having new clothes for whitsuntide,i had to then go round the rd where i lived showing all the neighbours,thankfully it was only a small rd,i think they gave me money,im not sure about that though,that was in the 60s,my sister who is almost 20yrs older than me can remember always having to have a new bonnet which fastened with a big bow under her chin