What behaviour do You think the Anti-Social Behaviour Act is used for ?

Originally posted by jan2002

What sort of behaviour do You think the Anti-Social Behavior Act covers ?

I am really interested to gain Your opinion on this, if You can spare 5 mins to answer

Many Thanks

:help:

Reading between the lines I would imagine that anyone that asks this question has either had enough of being terrorised in the street or has been threatened with the ASBA for some minor petty reason

The A.S.B.A. was implemented to try and stop anti social behaviour.

This covers neighbours from hell that think they own the area, Kids that run riot destroying others property, drinking in the street and useing threatening behaviour.

In other words, those that terrorise the neighbourhoods.

The act also covers anything deemed to be anti social ie, constant barking of your dog/s, playing loud music at all hours.

There was a story in the papers today about some over-zealous car clamper getting hit with an ASBO after trying to clamp cars that were doing three point turns....

That seems to be a darn good use of them, if you ask me!

Joe

The Police are using it quite constructively in relation to prostitution - effectively criminalising a civil offence.

Unfortunately, it seems that Councils have the same idea. I'm not sure I trust them with this power.

For example (from dim memory) - the woman in Barnsley sent down for 6 months because of her sons truancy?!!?

Originally posted by Tony

The Police are using it quite constructively in relation to prostitution - effectively criminalising a civil offence.

Unfortunately, it seems that Councils have the same idea. I'm not sure I trust them with this power.

For example (from dim memory) - the woman in Barnsley sent down for 6 months because of her sons truancy?!!?

Ok! since when is or has Prostitution been an anti social thing?

More over the council is not to blame for this! you can blame D. Blunkett who thinks that this will have an impact on the reduction of crime within Sheffield.

A bit Short sighted?????

I'm not sure what you mean there Derek, but street prostitution is VERY anti-social behaviour... as is the pimping, drug dealing, violence, addiction, related crime, grooming of children, spread of STD's, fear of crime, unsafe streets, etc, etc, etc, that go on around the activity.

IMO tolerance zones are a VERY bad idea because how can you tolerate all of the above?

The Police are being quite smart in using ASBO's on this one, along with confiscating kerb crawlers cars.

The case I cited in Barnsley (I may have some details wrong) was implemented by Barnsley Council, so they are squarely responsible. Blunkett merely provided the tools, and the above 2 examples show how laws can be used equally well and badly.

Originally posted by Tony

I'm not sure what you mean there Derek, but street prostitution is VERY anti-social behaviour... as is the pimping, drug dealing, violence, addiction, related crime, grooming of children, spread of STD's, fear of crime, unsafe streets, etc, etc, etc, that go on around the activity.

IMO tolerance zones are a VERY bad idea because how can you tolerate all of the above?

The Police are being quite smart in using ASBO's on this one, along with confiscating kerb crawlers cars.

The case I cited in Barnsley (I may have some details wrong) was implemented by Barnsley Council, so they are squarely responsible. Blunkett merely provided the tools, and the above 2 examples show how laws can be used equally well and badly.

Tony! I think that the problems go beyond prostitution or STD's !

I think if you look closely, the crimes in your areas are not related to prostitution or anything related to prostitution.

ASBO's Should be used against the ones terrorising the neighbourhoods, and the car thieves that create more damage and loss of life than what you have stated.

At present there are up to 40% of drivers in sheffield driving without licences. insurance or Road tax.

Nothing is being done against the ones with no road tax! to prove a point I have a neighbour who has a Volvo on the road, Drives it daily with no road tax...I have spoken to the police who say this is not their problem, Taking into account that a vehicle with no road tax is also on the road without insurance and possibly a driver without a licence the law is an ass and the police cannot be bothered with crimes such as these as long as they make the papers on how many arrests they have made of pimps and prostitutes.

Archived