The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

I am now on my 14th day of champix, quit on 8th day because smoking a fag was like lighting a sweaty sock!

I have had a few side effects-Biting my poor OH head off for eating too loudly, breathing too loudly, and generally just being there in the same room!

Vacant moments, knackeredness, and sickness(although this passes after 5-10mins).

I am a bit worried though I may turn into a raving loony, as I have had problems with depression for over 30yrs.

Has anyone else had any similar worries?

Personaly I think Champix is an amazing drug and Pfizer should receive awards and accolades for its development. It needs to be used sensibly and certainly I had to get my 2 weekly supply only after another appointment/consultation with the practice nurse.

There are alot of extreme side effects from just nicotine withdrawl, champix adds a few extra but nothing that I couldn't ultimately tolerate.

It allowed me to stop smoking which without it was impossible for me, despite wanting to quit very badly.

It doesn't suit everone but maybe 99% find it can help them, if you have other issues such as depression or alcoholism then this isn't the drug for you. You have other mountains to climb before worrying about smoking..

Even now 9/10 months on I still don't find it easy and there is still 'something missing' in my life but champix has given me the chance to nolonger smoke and I am grateful for that.

I am now on my 14th day of champix, quit on 8th day because smoking a fag was like lighting a sweaty sock!

I have had a few side effects-Biting my poor OH head off for eating too loudly, breathing too loudly, and generally just being there in the same room!

Vacant moments, knackeredness, and sickness(although this passes after 5-10mins).

I am a bit worried though I may turn into a raving loony, as I have had problems with depression for over 30yrs.

Has anyone else had any similar worries?

Yes and the doctor should not have prescribed Champix if we suffer from depression.

It doesn't suit everone but maybe 99% find it can help them
It is not anywhere near 99%. The stop smoking clinic told me that it is about 60% but according to the links I provided above it is much less.

Good for you if it worked for you but I seriously think it is not worth the risk for lots of people when it can send people insane or even cause suicide.

^^^ After just over two weeks I had stopped smoking but the trade off was that later I became physically ill and then mentally ill to the point of a death wish - if you have a partner please listen to her (or him) because for some people Champix can really screw your head.

Edited by Truthinus

I have to aggree with WoodSmoke. You do seem to put all your problems onto Champix.

I also find it hard to believe you would yourself start taking Champix when you claim to be intersested in Medicine in your personal profile!!!!!

Any way, Its been very nearly 9 full weeks with out a fag for me, and after the week i have had that is truly amazing!!! My friend was ready to give me all the reasons why i should not smoke (just in case) but i didnt once have a craving. Thanks im part to Champix.

Good luck to all the newly smoke free people. We can all become NON smokers :)

I have to aggree with WoodSmoke. You do seem to put all your problems onto Champix.

I also find it hard to believe you would yourself start taking Champix when you claim to be intersested in Medicine in your personal profile!!!!!

Any way, Its been very nearly 9 full weeks with out a fag for me, and after the week i have had that is truly amazing!!! My friend was ready to give me all the reasons why i should not smoke (just in case) but i didnt once have a craving. Thanks im part to Champix.

Good luck to all the newly smoke free people. We can all become NON smokers :)

Well done to you Kalla, and also well done to Woodsmoke.

Truthinus stop blaming champix for all your problems and get yourself sorted out once and for all as your negativity is not helping others on here quiting the fags.

Hi to everyone else.

Becky

First of all, Jabber this is your fault for starting this!!! LOL. Sudgun I hope you have seen all all the side problems LOL!!! There are many. I think we just have to remember what is important. Yes some of us have quit smoking while others have not. For me I don't think that it would have been possible without champix. So yes I am a supporter!! I went through the side effects and quit, ya me!! So I gained weight. I can't get past this, but I know some how I will. Jabber really makes me laugh so thishelps. Truth, I'm not sure what you want or need. I am here to help you in any way that u want. Star you can do it. Try to relax and calm. That will help. Kalla, that is great. Do not start. You are wonderful!! You can do it.