The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Hello All

Still new to this experience.

I am back at work today and on my 4th smoke free day. It has been tough today due to not sleeping a wink last night and sweating terribly. I have craved a smoke today too. I did take the evening pill late at 10 pm. Has this happened to anyone else in the earlier days of not smoking? Is this withdrawal from nicotine as it seems vaguely familiar? I have felt so relaxed and happy otherwise, just the nights!!!!

I noticed that some people have talked about taking half the dose at night to stop this. Does the urge to smoke become reduced doing this or does it make no difference? I have been having poor sleep since starting the champix and I thought it might have warn off a bt by now :loopy:

Edited by stoman

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Champix) - http://en.generic4all.com/champix-starter-pack,384,1,5037,0,0.dhtml?refID=5037 I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.

Sarah I believe your post is irresponsible IMHO. :rant::rant:

These tablets are seriously heavy duty and are avaialble only on prescription for a very good reason.

If anyone is considering buying these off the internet please think very seriously before you do. There is no doubt the Champix do have side effects and are not suitable for everyone. You only have to read back through this thread to see that.

Hi, still smoke free and on day 19. I have had a few days where I do think about cigarrettes but not enough to tempt me into lighting up! I am proud of myself because my OH is a heavy smoker & has cigs /lighters / ash trays easily accessible around the house.

Stoman - I only take 1/2 a tablet at night as I work until 10pm and often forgot to take my tablet until I got home. This always seemed to make me feel sick and thinking back I had some sweaty restless nights too. Lowering the night dose doesn't seem to have had any negative effects on my cravings etc.

It's great to see that we are all doing so well.....keep it up....we can do it x x x

Sarah I believe your post is irresponsible IMHO. :rant::rant:

These tablets are seriously heavy duty and are avaialble only on prescription for a very good reason.

If anyone is considering buying these off the internet please think very seriously before you do. There is no doubt the Champix do have side effects and are not suitable for everyone. You only have to read back through this thread to see that.

Lyn........I agree with you totally. Why do some people think it's ok to peddle their "wares" on the back of what is a genuine thread?

My immediate response to Sarah was to b***er off and go do your thing elsewhere. It's definately not welcome here.

Day 3 of being a non-smoker has been and gone now and I'm still being a good girl. :) My fag packet is still within reach on the dining room table.....and not touched. I still have a stash of duty free's in the wardrobe.....untouched.

Don't get me wrong....there are times when I could kill for a fag but thankfully the feeling seems to pass fairly quickly.

Thinking about it I suppose that I only actually feel the need for a cig a few times per day and that feeling soon passes. I still can't quite believe it myself to be honest.

I'm sorry to hear about some of the side effects that others are suffering from. I must be the exception to the rule because I don't seem to be suffering from any side effects. No sickness or quesy feelings. No disturbed sleep......but then again I do suffer from painful nights often so perhaps I wouldn't notice anyhow.

I did feel a bit dizzy at the outset but thats righted itself now.

I do feel one thing though.......calm.

Maybe I've resigned myself to becoming a non-smoker but so far I have to admit that the negative effects are minimal.

Packing up smoking was one of the things on my "to do" list before I hit 60...............because I knew that as a pensioner I couldn't afford to carry on anyhow. I've also been trying to convince myself that I hate smoking for quite a while now.......trouble was that I didn't believe myself because I actually enjoyed doing it.

Unfortunately.......or fortunately......health issues have forced me into taking the leap but I honestly don't think that I could have done it so easily had it not been for champix.

It is early days yet though but I think I've reached a point in my life now where I've decided that this is it.

I've gone three days now without a fag and I've not missed them anywhere near as much as I anticipated. If this is as bad as it gets then I'll be happy.

I also know that each day is another day forward and even though it's been relatively easy, it's still taken a certain amount of willpower. I don't want to un-do what efforts I've allready made so I have no choice now but to press on and look forward to the day where I go a full day without a single craving.

Thats when I'll have a fag to celebrate..........only kidding. :hihi:

Do you know what......I have a vanilla scented candle on my mantlepiece. It isn't lit and it's been there for a year or so now. Tonight is the first time ever that I can smell it and it smells lovely. In fact my house smells lovely......fresh air and nice smells and no fag smells.

I also know that my son is following me on here and I think I deserve a bunch of flowers off him to make my house smell even nicer. I wonder what the chances are of me getting one? :heyhey:

Keep up the good work quitters. Hugs to you all. xx

Rothschild I was also incredibly lucky and breezed through my course of Champix but I know there are many who have posted - Jabber included, who were hugely effected by the side effects.

Let's hope common sense prevails in anyone is tempted.

Also, like you, I had 1000 duty free ciggies stashed when I gave up. My daughter had recently got married in St Lucia and I'd got everyone to use their ration for me. Lesson learnt there ..................... it's only a bargain when you need it

ps. Hope you get the flowers :)

Having read this thread, and been inspired by the quitters, have been to the docs to get prescription and start Monday when other half gets his prescription. Have smoked for 30 years, tried patches, gum etc but have decided that now my grandchild is on the way, now is the time.

Having read this thread, and been inspired by the quitters, have been to the docs to get prescription and start Monday when other half gets his prescription. Have smoked for 30 years, tried patches, gum etc but have decided that now my grandchild is on the way, now is the time.

I'm smoke free for just over a year, I make a point of looking at folk smoking outside pubs, offices and shops, they look very silly from my new perspective. I used to buy my cigs in bulk when abroad for 3.10 Euros a pack, in a year they have increased to 4.10 Euros, I noticed a pack the other day in a local shop at £6.95, now that I'm now retired I don't think that I could afford to smoke. :loopy:

All the best with your efforts. :thumbsup:

I too have a grandchild. It is a great incentive to try and stop the old smokin cycle from going around again. Good luck

Hi, still smoke free and on day 19. I have had a few days where I do think about cigarrettes but not enough to tempt me into lighting up! I am proud of myself because my OH is a heavy smoker & has cigs /lighters / ash trays easily accessible around the house.

Stoman - I only take 1/2 a tablet at night as I work until 10pm and often forgot to take my tablet until I got home. This always seemed to make me feel sick and thinking back I had some sweaty restless nights too. Lowering the night dose doesn't seem to have had any negative effects on my cravings etc.

It's great to see that we are all doing so well.....keep it up....we can do it x x x

Thanks Co-co - I have had a couple of very bad nights recently and tried Nytol to give me a break. I wll try the half a dose at night as I am only 4' 10" and this may be why I am feelin the dose is very heavy but particularly at night.

Rothschild I was also incredibly lucky and breezed through my course of Champix but I know there are many who have posted - Jabber included, who were hugely effected by the side effects.

Let's hope common sense prevails in anyone is tempted.

Also, like you, I had 1000 duty free ciggies stashed when I gave up. My daughter had recently got married in St Lucia and I'd got everyone to use their ration for me. Lesson learnt there ..................... it's only a bargain when you need it

ps. Hope you get the flowers :)

Hi

I wonder if the terrible side effects are psychological rather than physical as I was struggling with whether I really really wanted to give up - I do so hopefully, I will get on with it now. last day on week 3 of Champix and 7days smoke free!!! :)

Edited by stoman