The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Hi Montysmum.

Welcome to the forum and to quitters corner. :hihi:

I felt exactly the same as you about taking the pills etc. I hate taking pills to start with so I was quite nervous. I feel much better about it now though because I haven't suffered any side effects .....and I hope it stops that way as well.

Day 19 of the champix for me now and day 5 of no smoking. I must admit that I've really felt like having one a couple of times today but I haven't.

I think it's fair to say the cravings don't last long and are more of a nuisance then anything else. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be finding it this "easy" without the champix though.

Stoman.....you are doing really well despite the side effects you are experiencing. Have you cut down to half a tablet at night time now and has it made any difference? I honestly don't know if the side effects could be physcological because a lot of people have suffered the same as you. I believe it's also settled down for many after a while, especially after reducing the evening tab. I hope it sorts itself out for you anyhow. It's hard enough without having any "blips" to contend with as well.

Keep up the good fight everybody......and enjoy the weekend.

Hi Montysmum.

Welcome to the forum and to quitters corner. :hihi:

I felt exactly the same as you about taking the pills etc. I hate taking pills to start with so I was quite nervous. I feel much better about it now though because I haven't suffered any side effects .....and I hope it stops that way as well.

Day 19 of the champix for me now and day 5 of no smoking. I must admit that I've really felt like having one a couple of times today but I haven't.

I think it's fair to say the cravings don't last long and are more of a nuisance then anything else. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be finding it this "easy" without the champix though.

Stoman.....you are doing really well despite the side effects you are experiencing. Have you cut down to half a tablet at night time now and has it made any difference? I honestly don't know if the side effects could be physcological because a lot of people have suffered the same as you. I believe it's also settled down for many after a while, especially after reducing the evening tab. I hope it sorts itself out for you anyhow. It's hard enough without having any "blips" to contend with as well.

Keep up the good fight everybody......and enjoy the weekend.

I am on day 22 of champix now and I had to have words with myself :rant:. Do I want to stop or not? I decided after all the pain and suffering of trying this so many times with so many different things, (like many of you on here), that I am going to do it. The drug is amazing even with its difficulties but you have to say 'I am not having one' when the little voice in your heading suggests or remembers the association.

I am back on track to success so thank you for your support and understanding :). I am still taking the full dose at night but earlier (after the last meal at 7 pm latest). Sweats have decreased and I am now waking only once or twice, not every hour.

Have a great weekend too all, a nice fresh and clean one lol :).

Thank you for the welcomes.....am very nervous about this, dont ask me why but the willpower is there so hopefully all will be fine.

Hi Montysmum,

It has been rightly pointed out that we are all genuinely nervous of taking this drug at first and rightly so after the stories you read regarding it on the net. If you and family are vigilant, then that is a safety net.

For most of us it is an amazing drug. I have had quite a few difficulties with it but I feel that it is all worth it.

Take it a step at a time and see what wonders you can achieve with the support of this drug.

Good luck, we are in the same boat and here to support each other as well as the drug.

The support on here is fantastic, so thanks again to everyone who is starting off on the journey, part through the journey and those who have been on the journey a long time but take the time to continue that support in breaking free from the evil nicotine addiction/trap. Alan Carr as well lol :).

Hi All

Thought I'd have a peek at whats happening in the world of the quitters. So glad to see so many new people and in the main so many supportive posts, well done.

Gemini congratulations can't wait until I can say it's been a year.

It's 34 weeks tomorrow for me and feel great so much better and fitter also joined slimming world and lost 1st 6lb in the last 10 weeks so thats helping.

One of the main advantages for me is that my success has inspired my daughter, son in law, dad, brother and best friend to stop, they reckon if weak willed me could do it they could and they have, dad struggling a bit but at 76 and after 63 years of smoking its not surprising really.

Anyway good luck to all of you just starting out, you can do it !

Hi All

Thought I'd have a peek at whats happening in the world of the quitters. So glad to see so many new people and in the main so many supportive posts, well done.

It's 34 weeks tomorrow for me and feel great so much better and fitter also joined slimming world and lost 1st 6lb in the last 10 weeks so thats helping.

One of the main advantages for me is that my success has inspired my daughter, son in law, dad, brother and best friend to stop, they reckon if weak willed me could do it they could and they have, dad struggling a bit but at 76 and after 63 years of smoking its not surprising really.

My regards to your dad, I had done 48 years, good luck to him. :thumbsup:

Hi All

Thanks Kazpa and well done you on 34 weeks. Also well done on the SW. I have been doing WW for ages and not got far so have switched to SW this week, hope I am as successful as you!

Some very inspiring encouragement on here, thank you. Day 1 of tablet taking, felt a little lightheaded, but maybe cos I didnt (and dont) usually bother with breakfast.....maybe that is a habit I need to get into. Other half got his prescription this morning, and starts his tablets tomorrow.

Hi all

I'm a newbie and this is my first post although I have spent several days on and off reading the mammouth amount of posts and have found it totally un-missable reading!

I'm 47 and have been smoking since I was 14. I have tried a few times to give up and the most successful was in Nov 2009 following a health scare. I had hypnotherapy and it seemed to work for a while (8 weeks) but then my mind seemed to over-ride the message and because I thought I'd cracked it I just had to try one to prove to myself I could handle 'just one' ... the rest is history and I was back up to 25-30 a day within the month. The thing is that the original health scare has not gone away. I had a blocked artery that resulted in me having angioplasty. The consultant said he would not expect to see an artery blocked so badly in someone my age ... usually it happens in your 60's/70's. That combined with losing a father at 53 and brother at 49 to smoking related illnesses I have been told that I MUST stop. Despite that I have carried on after my last failure but with a constant black shadow hanging over me about giving up again.

Well I made the decision that I'm NOT giving up ... I'm going to STOP forever (that's the Allen Carr way of looking at it!) I have signed up to my local quit clinic and have been prescribed Champix.

I am now on day 9 but am still smoking. I have had various side affects including nausea, a vacant feeling, a few odd dreams, fealing like I'm going to faint and terrible bloating and wind! None of these are unbearable if they help me reach my goal I can tolerate them. Coffee tastes odd and some cigarettes do taste odd but not all of them. My main worry now is will I know if it's worked or do I need to just take a leap of faith and quit. I have a BIG fear that it wont work for me. My quit date is day 14 which is this coming Sunday. Any advice would be greatfully received and well done to all you quitters ... you are truly an inspiration! :)

Hi all

I'm a newbie and this is my first post although I have spent several days on and off reading the mammouth amount of posts and have found it totally un-missable reading!

I'm 47 and have been smoking since I was 14. I have tried a few times to give up and the most successful was in Nov 2009 following a health scare. I had hypnotherapy and it seemed to work for a while (8 weeks) but then my mind seemed to over-ride the message and because I thought I'd cracked it I just had to try one to prove to myself I could handle 'just one' ... the rest is history and I was back up to 25-30 a day within the month. The thing is that the original health scare has not gone away. I had a blocked artery that resulted in me having angioplasty. The consultant said he would not expect to see an artery blocked so badly in someone my age ... usually it happens in your 60's/70's. That combined with losing a father at 53 and brother at 49 to smoking related illnesses I have been told that I MUST stop. Despite that I have carried on after my last failure but with a constant black shadow hanging over me about giving up again.

Well I made the decision that I'm NOT giving up ... I'm going to STOP forever (that's the Allen Carr way of looking at it!) I have signed up to my local quit clinic and have been prescribed Champix.

I am now on day 9 but am still smoking. I have had various side affects including nausea, a vacant feeling, a few odd dreams, fealing like I'm going to faint and terrible bloating and wind! None of these are unbearable if they help me reach my goal I can tolerate them. Coffee tastes odd and some cigarettes do taste odd but not all of them. My main worry now is will I know if it's worked or do I need to just take a leap of faith and quit. I have a BIG fear that it wont work for me. My quit date is day 14 which is this coming Sunday. Any advice would be greatfully received and well done to all you quitters ... you are truly an inspiration! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum, I would say just take the plunge and do it on Sunday if thats your quit day, it really is not as bad as it seems.