The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Many of you know I went to the Mossbrook recently and complained at the prices.....

3 glasses of wine cost £18.60 and many of you were disgusted..

I failed to mention that 4 of us dined for £40, this included 1 main each plus sides each - no drinks

This means the visit to to the pub is hiked up by the cost of drinks....

I blame the smoking ban... when smoking was allowed, people were happy to pay for grub and grog in all forms - as long as they could have a smoke. Now it has banished those customers and they eat at home.

What do you all think?

I wasn't happy going into stinking pubs.

Now the ban is in place I go to pubs much more frequently and spend much more money.

People who complain about the smoking ban need to shut up, seriously.

IMO it was the best thing the previous Government ever did.

It was. As a teenager I worked as a waitress in a pub and the second-hand smoke was disgusting (though smokers did tend to leave a lot of their food, which the lovely owner would "recycle" into more meals ;)). My mother has severe asthma and before the ban we could never go out for a family meal in a restaurant because of people smoking.

As some one who has never smoked, my reply to the question by the op, "Smoking ban now shows the real effect". The effect to me seems that it has closed many pubs, who on earth in their right mind wants to go out and then have to go outside their chosen boozer/eatery to have a fag.

A complete knee jerk reaction by the Government to "ban" smoking. It should have been left to the owner, manager or licensee to make their own decision. Another action by our Masters that has caused havoc to our hard pressed boozers.

Regards

Angel, who has NEVER smoked.

A complete knee jerk reaction by the Government to "ban" smoking. It should have been left to the owner, manager or licensee to make their own decision. Another action by our Masters that has caused havoc to our hard pressed boozers.

Regards

If the Govt were so against smoking, why didn't they just make it illegal? I agree with Angel in that it should have been left to the licensee to make their own decision, then everyone would be able to find what they want from a pub ... a smoking or a non-smoking place.

I never agreed with smoking in a restaurant anyway and even as a SMOKER, I do find the smell awful when in confined spaces, so can well imagine how non-smokers feel about the subject.

Sadly, the smoking ban in public places has caused many pubs to fail.

As some one who has never smoked, my reply to the question by the op, "Smoking ban now shows the real effect". The effect to me seems that it has closed many pubs, who on earth in their right mind wants to go out and then have to go outside their chosen boozer/eatery to have a fag.

Regards

That was the situation before but very few places chose to be none smoking, they took the path of least resistance and us non smokers had to lump it.

I can't see how the op thinks that expensive wine it's related to having no smoking in the place...

Can i say, even if youre a smoker (im not , never have been) were you happy to sit in an eating place with the smell of smoke wafting over into your direction whilst your eating? were you happy to light up and breathe over everyone, possibly inc your kids, while theyre eating? were you happy to go out on a night, then come home with your hair & your clothes reeking of stale smoke? do you not realise how unattractive that is? im glad smoking is banned in pubs etc, it needs to stay banned. Im happy to pay the extra to cover the costs of smoking being banned...it works out cheaper than paying for medical treatment & time off work for my asthma when im troubled by cigarette smoke

Excellent post. As an ex pat from a country that banned smoking in pubs and restaurants years ago, I used to hate going into smoke filled pubs when I visited. Now, it's much more enjoyable. People complaining about the smoking ban need to realize that all that Britain has done is caught up with the rest of the civilized world.