The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Should managers who work in offices be able to decide if smoking is allowed? Bus drivers? Supermarkets? The legislation is because the pub is a work place.

Good point Mike, what is your solution to this? I agree with no smoking in offices, buses etc.

However I have never seen anyone smoke in a supermarket!

I understand what you say but legislation has taken the choice away from managers in pubs and most pub managers I know smoke.

Lots of office managers smoke, lots of bus drivers do? there is no difference in the fact that a pub is a work place.

Good point Mike, what is your solution to this? I agree with no smoking in offices, buses etc.

However I have never seen anyone smoke in a supermarket!

The solution is what has already happened. Smoking has been banned in work places. Simple, same rules easily apply to everyone and it has been successful so far.

Many of you know I went to the Mossbrook recently and complained at the prices.....

3 glasses of wine cost £18.60 and many of you were disgusted..

I failed to mention that 4 of us dined for £40, this included 1 main each plus sides each - no drinks

This means the visit to to the pub is hiked up by the cost of drinks....

I blame the smoking ban... when smoking was allowed, people were happy to pay for grub and grog in all forms - as long as they could have a smoke. Now it has banished those customers and they eat at home.

What do you all think?

Restricting the chances to smoke means people have more disposable income and can afford to spend more;this may well increase demand for pub meals and other related items.Also smoking is not compatible with eating making it(eating) a more attractive pastime now it(smoking) has been banned

The solution is what has already happened. Smoking has been banned in work places. Simple, same rules easily apply to everyone and it has been successful so far.
Its true pubs are a lot more pleasant place's to go now for non smokers our local WMC was like a gas chamber a few years ago you felt like a smoked kipper when you came out of there,the trouble is the place is empty now and that has a lot to do with the smoking ban.

Its true pubs are a lot more pleasant place's to go now for non smokers our local WMC was like a gas chamber a few years ago you felt like a smoked kipper when you came out of there,the trouble is the place is empty now and that has a lot to do with the smoking ban.

They're all in the Pheasant now its not £3 per pint!

Many of you know I went to the Mossbrook recently and complained at the prices.....

3 glasses of wine cost £18.60 and many of you were disgusted..

I failed to mention that 4 of us dined for £40, this included 1 main each plus sides each - no drinks

This means the visit to to the pub is hiked up by the cost of drinks....

I blame the smoking ban... when smoking was allowed, people were happy to pay for grub and grog in all forms - as long as they could have a smoke. Now it has banished those customers and they eat at home.

What do you all think?

I think you are talking rubbish

I totally agree that landlords should have been able to have the choice whether to allow smoking in pubs.

They had that choice for at least a hundred years.... How could they be given a choice they already had, and how could you expect it to solve the problem???

I am a "social" smoker, and used to enjoy a quiz night with friends , some of whom smoke. When the ban came in, we used to find the "fun and friendly" people outside having a cig.....until winter arrived, then the cosy nights in the pub ended. Leading to so many pubs closing due to lack of business.

The figures just don't support this, pubs were closing before the smoking ban and continued to close afterwards.

I also cannot stand smoke in a confined space, even at home I sit by open patio doors!

So why would expect 60% of the adults in the country to put up with it in a pub? (That's the 60% who don't smoke).

They're all in the Pheasant now its not £3 per pint!
£1.70 for a pint of John Smiths is still to much to pay for a pint of beer,Iv'e not been in the Pheasant for years ,they said it was going to be a Witherspoons this year but dose not look like its happening though.