The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Was it really? What evidence can you produce to show that is the case?

If the real reason for banning smoking was to save lives, why is it that MPs still allow smoking in their own bars in the palace of Westminster?

Do they have some sort of immunity to second-hand smoke not enjoyed by the general public?

I've no idea what the real reason for banning smoking in public places was, but I suspect that the fact that such a ban would have been very popular with a large number of people might have had something to do with it.

'Banning things' is a popular pastime in the UK. If it keeps the people happy (and it doesn't cost much), what's wrong with letting a significant number of very vocal people think they are getting their own way?

When smoking was permitted in restaurants and pubs, I wouldn't consider eating in a restaurant which permitted smoking, nor would I drink in a smoky pub. That was my choice.

If a restaurateur/publican wished to permit smoking that was his/her choice and if it drove people away, that was his/her problem. I don't run a restaurant, nor do I run a pub, so I've no axe to grind.

I had a friend who - before the ban - told me: "I don't go to pubs because they're too smoky." I saw her a few months after the ban was introduced and asked her whether she now enjoyed going to the pub. 'Errr... No. I don't go to the pub." "Why not? They're not smoky anymore?" "Errr...Errr ... they're too expensive."

I've no doubt some pubs have become more popular now that they are non-smoking, but I've also no doubt that some - particularly those in rural areas who had limited trade before the ban - have lost trade and in some cases, the loss of trade may have contributed to the pub closing.

I used to live in a small Norfolk village which had one pub. The pub was having problems before the ban was introduced (it seemed always to be on the verge of closing) and when the smoking ban was introduced, it had more problems - but it managed to survive.

The population of the village has increased over the last 40 years. 40 years ago (with far fewer residents) the village had 3 pubs and apparently at one time it had 5.

Habits change. When the village had 5 pubs it didn't have electricity (And that wasn't too long ago ;)) People didn't sit around eating take-away pizza and watching TV, they went to the pub. They didn't buy beer from supermarkets (though no doubt some did buy booze from the local off-licence) they drank in the pub.

Nowadays, many people don't go to the pub... Unless, of course somebody threatens to close it, in which case you'll hear things like: "It shouldn't be allowed! We can't do without our pub! I'm a regular customer! I go there and drink a half of shandy every New Year's Eve!"

That is without doubt the most moronic posting I have come across on this forum. There is no point even entering into a deate with someone who wants to carry on denying the harmfull effects of secondhand smoke. Numerous studies and reports from authorities like The World Health Organisation have convinced more than 100 Governments worldwide to introduce smoking restrictions to save lives. Follow up studies have shown massive reductions in heart attacks in counties where smoking bans have been implemented. But all of this will be of no interest to those in total denial of reality.

Thankfully the our previous government had enough intelligence to act on the undeniable evidence and act in the public good. Who cares IF a few pubs have lost trade? Who cares if a few tobacco addicts are put out by it? WE ARE SAVING LIVES. Only a moron would try to deny it.

Many of you know I went to the Mossbrook recently and complained at the prices.....

3 glasses of wine cost £18.60 and many of you were disgusted..

I failed to mention that 4 of us dined for £40, this included 1 main each plus sides each - no drinks

This means the visit to to the pub is hiked up by the cost of drinks....

I blame the smoking ban... when smoking was allowed, people were happy to pay for grub and grog in all forms - as long as they could have a smoke. Now it has banished those customers and they eat at home.

What do you all think?

rubbish comment

rubbish comment

I disagree. I smoke ,and i used to go to the pub five nights a week , but now i spend that money on booze from the supermarket and drink at home where i can smoke. So, the smoking ban HAS stopped me going to the pub.

But to be honest , now most pubs have adopted the stupid policy of selling food and letting screaming kids in the premises , im happy to stay at home and drink. Thers nowt worse than trying to enjoy a Quiet pint and having hoards of screaming rug rats running amok in the pub. :gag::mad:

I don't smoke and have never smoked a fag in my life, I did used to go in pubs regularly its simply the price of a pint in the pubs that keeps me away and thats it,if the pub was a particularly smoky pub I would go somewhere else as the smoke would irritate my eyes and chest, believe it or not as a non smoker I think the smoking ban in pubs was a wrong legislation to bring out as it has a dramatic affect on pub trade,no one forces you to go in a pub that is full of smokers but legislation takes the choice away from every body,I think smoking is a nasty stinking habit and the more people stop smoking the better,the only people who benefit from smoking is the tax man and undertakers.

Who has said they wont go to the pub anymore?

That's the claim that has been repeated numerous times, that the pubs are closing because all the high spending smokers don't go anymore.

And specifically on this thread, at least one person has made that claim.

I don't smoke and have never smoked a fag in my life, I did used to go in pubs regularly its simply the price of a pint in the pubs that keeps me away and thats it

I don't smoke either but I don't find the price of real ale a problem - £2 to £2.60 a pint on average - £2.80 if its a very strong ale.