The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

So its ok for you to pollute the country air with your car? You can't have it both ways, smokers can't smoke inside so naturally they will smoke outside.
Yes my old car dose pollute like mad but like most old cars it spends most of its life stood in a garage,that's one of the reasons the government dose not tax us, smokers pollute the atmosphere 24/7 and that's one of the reasons you pay tax on fags.

Not many years back I was sitting in a pub enjoying a bar meal when a chap decided to plonk himself down at the table where we were eating. I've no problem with that as it was a pub after all. However he then took out his pipe, lit it up and smoked it continuously for the next half hour.

To me that sums up the situation before the restrictions were put in place. Had it not been for the selfish attitude of smokers, who thought everyone needed to benefit from their habit, there could have been self regulation. But in the few pubs that did have non smoking rooms or areas you invariably found smokers who took no notice of the signs. This happened not only in pubs but in airports, restaurants and many segregated entertainment establishments. So when the government looked into the health implications of passive smoke they had no alternative but to bring in a blanket ban. And they voted overwhelmingly for that ban.

The ban on smoking in pubs, AND ALL OTHER ENCLOSED PUBLIC PLACES, came in 4 years ago. It has dramatically improved the health of the nation and isn't going to be reversed. Indeed I have heard talk of in being extended to cover many outdoor places as well as areas close to pubs. So it is perhaps time that smokers got used to the situation. It seems they have a few alternatives. The vast majority are quite happy to smoke outside and not impose their smoke on others. The rest can either put up with it, quit smoking or stay at home.

Interesting. I would like to see the evidence of this.

So its ok for you to pollute the country air with your car? You can't have it both ways, smokers can't smoke inside so naturally they will smoke outside.

Does smoking achieve some vital function that I've previously not noticed, like transporting you from A to B?

Yes I can remember non smoking rooms and areas, usually a dark room at the back of the pub next to the toilets or something,wile all the smokers stood around the bar,I think cigars were the worst stink, clouds of smoke every where that smoke always seemed to linger in the air and follow me about like a poisonous gas cloud.

It is because of the lack of consideration for others that governments have seen fit to bring in the indoor smoking bans in more than 100 countries. It is because of the lack of consideration by smokers now that the ban is in place that it is likely to be extended to prevent smokers blocking entrances, pavements and recreation areas.

http://www.localgov.co.uk/index.cfm?method=news.detail&id=101856

Councils are planning to make use of the Localism Bill to follow New York’s lead in extending the ban on indoor smoking to open places such as parks, play areas and streets.

Such use would advance laws making it illegal to smoke in indoor public places first introduced to England, Wales and Northern Ireland in 2007 and echo a ban imposed earlier this year by New York mayor Michael Bloomberg on smoking in city parks, public plazas, boardwalks and beaches.

Didn't someone post earlier that cancer rates had fallen 10%?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8267523.stm

Bans on smoking in public places have had a bigger impact on preventing heart attacks than ever expected, data shows.

Smoking bans cut the number of heart attacks in Europe and North America by up to a third, two studies report.

This "heart gain" is far greater than both originally anticipated and the 10% figure recently quoted by England's Department of Health.

The studies appear in two leading journals - Circulation and the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

Heart attacks in the UK alone affect an estimated 275,000 people and kill 146,000 each year.

Big impact

Earlier this month it was announced that heart attack rates fell by about 10% in England in the year after the ban on smoking in public places was introduced in July 2007 - which is more than originally anticipated.

But the latest work, based on the results of numerous different studies collectively involving millions of people, indicated that smoking bans have reduced heart attack rates by as much as 26% per year.

Interesting. I would like to see the evidence of this.

So would I!

There's more evidence of an increase in Driving related deaths and an increase in Cancer related deaths too.

The health of the nation is getting worse according to top studies and that's down to more and more people not eating properly as opposed to smoking, drinking and driving.

Having said that.

Driving makes people lazy, Pollutes the atmosphere, causes no end of illness's, therefore is a bigger hazard than most things that are "detrimental" to our health. Will the government place a blanket ban on this? NO, they won't as it would send the country into melt down.

The Smoking ban is about appeasing the do-gooders who have ruined the very ethics and core of this country. This WAS the country of the Free, it's now the country of the oppressed, forever watched and bound by stupidity and "political correctness".

The very laws that have now been extended beyond what they were supposed to represent is the very reason this country is failing.