The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

You will have to tell me were this pub is it sounds wonderful it has to be with in walking distance though,if the fuzz stop you in your car and you have had a sniff of a drink your in for a life time ban and and be ostracized from society for life

Do they not have buses or taxi's in your area?

See how ostracised you are if you kill someone due to drink driving.

I ran pubs for few years when every one smoked in them banning smoking in them days would have closed your pub down in no time it was the norm to smoke in a pub,people used think it was odd that I did not smoke being a landlord,all the staff smoked {not behind to bar though} as well,its just my opinion but I think banning smoking in pubs altogether was a to far to go,if the pub was a smoking pub with a licence the people who worked there would probably smoke as well giving you a choice of to work there or not.

Very interesting because even 30 years ago less than 30% of adults smoked, so if your customers were all smokers it is clear that 70% of the potential customers were avoiding your pub for a reason. The obvious reason is that it stunk like a kipper factory.

It is rather like West Street on a Friday night. Virtually everyone is under 25. That doesn't mean that the entire population is under 25 or no one over 25 goes out. It just proves that people over 25 don't feel comfortable there and spend their cash elsewhere.

Telling someone they have a choice of leaving or compromising your health isn't how H&S works though is it, or many industries would still be incredibly dangerous.

I think its a bit different to H+S in that scenario,if you do not smoke you would not want to work in a smoking pub I should imagine,the job advertised would clearly state if it was a smoking or non smoking pub it would be up to the individual to make the choice and that would have been a lot fairer,the point is its done know and I can't see the government going back on things know if anything I think they are ready to bring even more restrictions on smokers and there dirty habit.

Do they not have buses or taxi's in your area?

See how ostracised you are if you kill someone due to drink driving.

Taxi are you joking £15 from town to home,Iv never drink and drive in my life,but can you cast your memory back a few years ago when all the pub car parks were full that was a nail in the coffin for a lot of the country pubs tightening up on the drink driving laws,just stating a fact not saying I agree with drink driving one bit,

Very interesting because even 30 years ago less than 30% of adults smoked, so if your customers were all smokers it is clear that 70% of the potential customers were avoiding your pub for a reason. The obvious reason is that it stunk like a kipper factory.

It is rather like West Street on a Friday night. Virtually everyone is under 25. That doesn't mean that the entire population is under 25 or no one over 25 goes out. It just proves that people over 25 don't feel comfortable there and spend their cash elsewhere.

I think just about everyone who went in a pub in them days smoked,it was one of the reasons I got out of the pub trade was the smoke in pubs, if you put the extractor fans on they would moan about it being to cold and shut the windows and things, it was awful the smoke in pubs in them days and a lot of the old boys smoked pipes back then as well.

I think just about everyone who went in a pub in them days smoked,it was one of the reasons I got out of the pub trade was the smoke in pubs, if you put the extractor fans on they would moan about it being to cold and shut the windows and things, it was awful the smoke in pubs in them days and a lot of the old boys smoked pipes back then as well.

I don't doubt you. But didn't it occur to you to ask why? Or to wonder why the remaining 70% of the population weren't there?

I don't doubt you. But didn't it occur to you to ask why? Or to wonder why the remaining 70% of the population weren't there?
They would not have got in as the pub was always full like most pubs in them days.

I think non smokers were a bit more tolerant in them days people seem to to be a bit more heath conscious now days,non smokers would happily sit in a smoke filled room with there friends,I used to go in smoky pubs myself and never think about it and like I say I have never smoked at all, most of my mates smoked back then and as a youngster most of the girls I when out with smoked as well.

So how does The Greystones fit into the world view of 'the smoking ban killed my pub' people?

Before Thornbridge took over the pub, it was frankly a bit of a hole, not somewhere I really wanted to go into. They refurbished the pub with a basic but clean and tidy decor, added entertainment, food and a range of traditional beers. Every time I go past the place seems busy. I drop in whilst walking the dogs (dog friendly too), and attend some of the concerts. Maybe the traditional pub clientele changed once they were exposed to bars abroad an found the English pub lacking in something.

I have never smoked and stopped going in most pubs when they turned into noisy 'vertical drinking dens' in an effort to maximise profits. Of course some places (Fagans & Dog and Partridge for instance) managed to survive as traditional pubs, possibly by providing a comfortable environment to drink and talk with your mates.

They would not have got in as the pub was always full like most pubs in them days.

Oh I see. So the smokers were allowed in first and only if there was any room did you allow non smokers in? There again you could just be telling porkies.

You might get away with such blatant falsehoods to your mates but please don't assume everyone on here is quite so gullible.