The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

NO, what they are doing is punishing the smoker by charging them more in terms of taxation, while the numbers drop to make up the shortfall coming into the coffers. When they have finally abolished it totally, where will the Tax be coming from?

But will they be banishing Sugar and Fat? is what I asked, not ranted as both are "supposed" to be bad for you and are causing numbers to "rise" in terms of patients within the NHS ( not that thats got nothing to do with the foreign policy really :huh: ). Replacing them with the lovely stuff called Candarel with the disgusting after taste and the "Diet" drinks that taste fowl!

Gas Guzzling cars, lorries, etc are being heavily taxed, yes! But it's a blanket tax on ALL goods not just nicotine products. What do we do, stop lugging all goods around the country?

How do Lorry companies get around the Levy, if introduced? Fill the lorry with 80% food and a crate or 2 at the back of the wagon of Nicotine products.

NO, I'm not happy with the regime of nosy neighbours syndrome!

I don't like being told by some do-gooding PC Brigade loving idiot what I can and can't do with my body.

I'm an English BORN and BRED citizen, War Veteran and have fought for this country and for it's democratic rights. I shouldn't be forced to move abroad to practise my democratic rights.

This isn't a democratic country, it's bullying. Just cause someone chooses to be in the minority doesn't give you or anyone else the right to tell them they can't buy what they want with their money, do what they want with their body or what they want to watch, eat or do with their time.

When it comes to democratic rights you live in the greatest free democratic country in the world , I have traveled the world an seen how other country's behave and I know were I would sooner live smoking ban or no smoking ban, try exercising your rights in Spain or turkey just to name a few countrys and see how far you get.

NO, what they are doing is punishing the smoker by charging them more in terms of taxation, while the numbers drop to make up the shortfall coming into the coffers. When they have finally abolished it totally, where will the Tax be coming from?

But will they be banishing Sugar and Fat? is what I asked, not ranted as both are "supposed" to be bad for you and are causing numbers to "rise" in terms of patients within the NHS ( not that thats got nothing to do with the foreign policy really :huh: ). Replacing them with the lovely stuff called Candarel with the disgusting after taste and the "Diet" drinks that taste fowl!

NO, I'm not happy with the regime of nosy neighbours syndrome!

I don't like being told by some do-gooding PC Brigade loving idiot what I can and can't do with my body.

I'm an English BORN and BRED citizen, War Veteran and have fought for this country and for it's democratic rights. I shouldn't be forced to move abroad to practise my democratic rights.

This isn't a democratic country, it's bullying. Just cause someone chooses to be in the minority doesn't give you or anyone else the right to tell them they can't buy what they want with their money, do what they want with their body or what they want to watch, eat or do with their time.

Do you know how much gets spent on cancer research and treating people with cancer in this country? It would be a lot less if a lot fewer people smoked. You might live longer as well.

Chicken-flavoured drinks? Yeeeuch.

Ah, the old PC do-gooders. Whenever I see those words I see a reactionary who reads the Sun or Mail. And none of them ever say what's wrong with doing good. And none of them ever say what's right about doing wrong.

And smoking in pubs - and causing cancer in others - isn't a democratic right. If you want to kill yourself slowly at home, do so, but don't think you have a democratic right to kill others.

Finally, the government can tell you what you can't buy and tobacco isn't it. You can buy tobacco but you just can't smoke it in a pub. The government does though try to stop you buying illegal drugs, plutonium, armalite rifles, semtex, all sorts of things. But you can buy tobacco.

Seen the world and there are a lot of nice places.

GB isn't the fairest of them all at all.

Italy, Norway, BVI's and Mexico are the fairest and offer the best options, but I'm typical English and I'm a Royalist Patriot. Always have been and always will be!

I just don't let people tell me what I can or can't do with MY body!

Italy, Norway, BVI's and Mexico are the fairest and offer the best options, but I'm typical English and I'm a Royalist Patriot. Always have been and always will be!

Non of them countries you mention float my boat Mexico are you joking Norway's a nice place but would you really want to live there.

Non of them countries you mention float my boat Mexico are you joking Norway's a nice place but would you really want to live there.

I wouldn't want to live in Norway at £8/pt 10 years ago, god knows what it is now, lol ;)

Mexico's ok, not seasonal enough for me.

Italy is also expensive but lovely.

Now If I could afford to move to the BVI's and they had a SUFC playing there every other week, I'd do it tomorrow :hihi:

Compare your winging about this country against a proper dictatorship.....lets say Syria for example.

Sounds a little pathetic now, doesn't it?

Hey don't shoot the messenger. But you are the one who mentioned a non democratic society not me. I don't see what is undemocratic about the smoking restrictions anyhow. The government aren't telling anyone they haven't got the right to smoke. All they are doing is protecting non smokers from those who choose to poison themselves.

Regarding your rant. Food labelling and healthy diets are being encouraged which is why people like McDonalds are introducing more healthy meals.

With regard to gas guzzling cars the government is clamping down on them in exactly the same way. You may have noticed that they have more expensive road tax and it increases year on year. Presumably heavier taxing of non essential goods like tobacco will cut down on the need to transport it too.

I'm pretty happy with it all. You clearly aren't. But if you don't like what you hear, smell, taste, see....... Move!!! It's not difficult, Jeez. Apparently there are no smoking restrictions in Afghanistan.

There is a difference between being encouraged to do something and being told what to do. Even the most paranoid non-smoker can't seriously think getting a whiff of cigarette smoke in the street or park will cause them everlasting damage, yet smoking outdoors could be restricted. As for not employing anyone who smokes is this what a fair democracy is all about. You seem happy living with ever increasing restrictions and legislations? Do you work for the council by any chance?

Smoking is a strange habit,I watch people who smoke and think what do they get out of it,there seems no rhyme or reason to it,what a way to live having to pay that money out and be gagging for another and another all the time do they ever look at them self's in the mirror and wounder what they are doing to them self's or do they all live in denial,surly by now they must know the health risks involved in smoking,I'm glad I have never smoked in my life at all,one thing that upsets me is when you see a young girl smoking that's a customer for the next 40 years or so for the fag industry what a shame to see it.

It's an addiction, nicotine is more addictive than heroin! (Although the withdrawal affects are much less severe and it's difficult to overdose).