The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

I have tried just about everything, short of sowing my mouth up.

I have done champix, patches, accupunture, hypnotherapy, even wasted 200 quid on a allen carr clinic. I am still smoking!

Does anyone know of a a hypnotherapist that is tried and tested and will STOP ME FOR GOOD!:confused:

Wear boxing cloves.

You can't handle fags with gloves on.

If you get irritable, you can bang someone

I've read many of your posts. You're a right annoying little git. It doesn't matter uf I smoke a million fags a day. At least I'm not you.

He's caught you out claiming that you smoke 60 a day, and, less than 10 a day.

The appropriate thing to do is to either explain the discrepency, or, admit you've not being telling the truth. As opposed to simply name calling, which is against board rules.

My Dad was a 6foot4 huge bloke he was a regimental sergeant major in the black watch he was as hard as nails and was in the war and the d-day landings,he was a serous smoker all his life in fact he was probably a chain smoker now I look back,he always seem to have a fag in the corner of his mouth he was a great guy and I loved him very dearly,he came to our house one day complaining about a pain in his back and would I give his back a rub I said you need to go and see the doctors,he did and the doctor sent him to the hospital for an x-ray they found a large shadow on his lung and a biophys confirmed it as cancer this was late September,he came to our house for Christmas that year and the decline in him in the few months was upsetting to see,he was in a bad way by February the next year and they took him into St Luke's in April that year, I went to see him and it was pathetic the see him he was this little grey haired old man shuffling along the corridor out of his head on morphine he died that month as I held his hand, as he took his last breath he looked me in the eyes as he went it broke my heart to see him go like that smoking took 20 years off his life he has missed so much in our family with Grandkids and so on.

Edited by Shogun

My Dad was a 6foot4 huge bloke he was a regimental sergeant major in the black watch he was as hard as nails and was in the war and the d-day landings,he was a serous smoker all his life in fact he was probably a chain smoker now I look back,he always seem to have a fag in the corner of his mouth he was a great guy and I loved him very dearly,he came to our house one day complaining about a pain in his back and would I give his back a rub I said you need to go and see the doctors,he did and the doctor sent him to the hospital for an x-ray they found a large shadow on his lung and a biophys confirmed it as cancer this was late September,he came to our house for Christmas that year and the decline in him in the few months was upsetting to see,he was in a bad way by February the next year and they took him into St Luke's in April that year, I went to see him and it was pathetic the see him he was this little grey haired old man shuffling along the corridor out of his head on morphine he died that month as I held his hand, as he took his last breath he looked me in the eyes as he went it broke my heart to see him go like that smoking took 20 years off his life he has missed so much in our family with Grandkids and so on.

I can relate to that- as I've got older, inevitably I've seen people die.

Sadly, smokers tend not to die well: being unable to sleep properly due to constantly waking up gasping for breathe is deeply unpleasant, and, when it comes to smokers, that seems to be very common in the last few months of their lives.

Obviously, being a non or ex-smoker does not guarantee either living longer, or escaping such a unpleasant end to life- but, clearly, it adjusts the odds considerably in your favour.

IMO, smokings a bit of a tragic joke now- the facts are in, there are no good reasons to smoke, long term regular smokers, whatever they happen to believe about why they smoke, in reality, do so because they have become addicted to nicotine.

As we've seen on this thread, untruths and self-deception seem to go hand-in-hand with smoking, just as they do with any other drug habit.

Of course, your Dad (and mine too, who also died from an illness which most likely was caused by his lifelong smoking addiction), grew up in different times, when the facts about smoking where not known (or in the period where they were being suppressed), so, they became addicted when smoking was considered to be just another lifestyle choice.

Which is sad- they really didn't have the same opportunity to make a reasoned choice to avoid this awful drug addiction as people do today.

Well I quit today - got the patch on.

I see this thread has generated lots of interest...I suppose the quitting smoking thing is quite a big thing for smokers...It just has to be done, it is possibly the stupidest thing I ever did.

I hope you are still doing well...I'm rooting for you.

I have only smoked myself for a very brief period a few years back and didn't find it difficult to stop, it just happened.

But from other people's experiences, most people I know who are ex-smokers took more than one (in many cases a lot more than one) attempt to quit, and it is a tough road. But a rewarding one when you finally get there!

I have a few things to offer which are probably common knowledge to most 'quitters':

1) Champix seems to get a consistently good press. My boyfriend tried to quit lots of times, unsuccessfully until he tried Champix; not sure how individual this is though;

2) leading on from this, the reason Champix worked so well (and possibly other methods may work well for you) was that he decided to quit together with a couple of friends, and the support they gave each other throughout has been a major factor in the success of it all;

3) unless you are already seriously overweight, snacking is not a bad way of dealing with not being able to smoke, as long as it doesn't get out of hand; Polo mints were mentioned, also I've heard of Imperial mints and other mint sweets being really good for the same purpose - and if you are weight conscious, then there are plenty of sugar free mints you can try.

Good luck with it, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who is trying:)