Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Hi there, I lived at 124 Windy House Lane, does any one remember me? my name is Peter I was the youngest of the lads in my family, I can remember the Star Family, Biggerstaffe Family Wainwright Family, Mick & Arthur Denton, I often see Arthur around, I can remember Gebhards Potted Meat, the best potted meat in Sheffield.

In 1944 – 1946

A guide to the houses at the bottom of Windy House Lane. (So we know where people lived).

On the left from Fitzubert Road To Queen Mary Road were three blocks of houses.

A Three Block, a Five block and another Three block followed by the Graves Alms Houses.

Numbered 121 – 125. 127 – 135. 137 – 141

No 125, Denton’s lived. 133, Ellis. (Or/And Woodcock). 135, Cryer. 137, Smith. 139, Smith.

124. Hewitt & Easetwood. 126, Star(s). 128, Nixon.

On the left from Fitzubert Road To Queen Mary Road,

I think that they was a six block then a five block followed by the Graves Alms Houses.

On that side I remember people called Brian Star, Gordon Eastwood, Harry Hewitt

but can’t remember the house numbers that they lived in. ( Now Added Above )

Does any one else remember or can fill in the missing names?

But I haven’t forgot ‘Tatty Dumps’!!

TAFFY124

Next time you meet Arther - Terry Smith sends his best regards, to him and his twin Mick.

Hi Albert, my name is Peter Hewitt I lived at 124 Windy House Lane, my brother was Harry Hewitt, Gordon Eastwood was also my brother, Stars lived at 126, Mr Nixon lived at 128 who used to shout at us for knocking the cricket ball against his wall. The Armstrong Family lived next next door to Dentons

'Morning Mr Smith, you seem to have a great memory for names. Can you remember anyone called Arthur Burton who must have lived on your side of Windyhouse. He would beabout 30/40 in the 50/60's and lived alone. He emigrated to South Africa, Southern Rhodesia as it was then, in the early 60's but died of lassa fever a few years later

Hi Albert, my name is Peter Hewitt I lived at 124 Windy House Lane, my brother was Harry Hewitt, Gordon Eastwood was also my brother, Stars lived at 126, Mr Nixon lived at 128 who used to shout at us for knocking the cricket ball against his wall. The Armstrong Family lived next next door to Dentons

Its a small world!! I don't think we have met since 1945-6 and I think you was only six or seven years old then?

But back to business:- At what number did ' Biggerstaff live? ' and you remember how many houses were in your block and on Nixon's block? and which side of Dentons did Armstrong live at.

I gather that your ( And may be mine? ) houses are now demolished, so if you have any photographs of where we used to live, I'd like copies please? If you P.M. me your E-Mail, I'll let you have those that I've already got and any others that come my way.

Note: Do you have a copy of Mr Mercers Book?

Tatty Dumps: The name ' Burton ' rings a bell in a distant memory, Initially I think that they lived on the right hand side of windy house Lane going up to the shops and the islands where the National Fire Service war time water tanks were. If I think of more I'll come back.

If any one else knows anything, or knows anything about anything else, ' Please join the Party '.

Thanks for the PM and the post.

Will ask Gran to recall everyone she knew on the Manor, she knows Mavis (tatty dumps very well) My mum used to take Mavis's daughter to school way back in the late fifties. Its great to read this thread as I have so many fond memories of my early days on the Manor.. I even remember Hauges chippy, the ''VG'' shop at the side of the post office, the bookies (which was next to the chippy??) Freddy Gebards butchers .. Gran used to buy me a pie from there... And i'm only 33!

Grandad did suffer terribly at the hands of the Japanese and used to get quite upset of how they treated him but he lived to be 85 and was a happy man who loved his family and i still miss him.

All the best

Mavis (Tatty Dumps) former playmate of Jean Smith.

All will be serialised soon!!!

I never thought that I'd make a Millionairess out of someone from the Manor!!

Please, please put me out of my misery - (and I don't mean have me put down) Jean Smith seems a familiar name, but alas I can't bring any memories forward. You certainly know how to keep a little old lady dangling Mr Smith !!!!:blush:

I posted yesterday on behalf of a friend of mine in Australia. He is trying to find information about his mother, Betty (Beatrice) OLDALE.

Betty came to live with the OLDALE family at 23 Windy House Lane c 1925 after the death of her father. She would then have been about 5 yrs old. Betty married Norman EDWARDS in 1937 but continued to live at Windy House Lane until c. 1942. Two sons were born to her at 23 Windy House Lane. They think that they went to Gleadless School. I presume that that is the school on Hollinsend Road?

My apologies as I think that I misled folks yesterday by giving the wrong house number. They definitely lived at no 23 - was that at the City Road end?

"Chyanteg" (a confused southerner who fetched up in Sheffield by accident almost 30 yrs ago!)

Iworked with a N E in 1938 he was a cabinet maker would this be the same person