Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Does anyone remember, which regiment was stationed their?

Did it ever shoot any aircraft down or did they only use flack and search lights?

Do we have a Forum member who was stationed their?

What was the name of the Farm on Manor Lane opposite to the camp?

And did the rough lane to the farm start at Harborough Ave or Pipwoth Road?[/QUOT

Just catching up with all the post after a long abscence due to sickness in the family. I lived on Pipworth rd from 1939 to the 50s. just four doors away from the school My name was Vera Pope then. I haven't come across anyone from my days there. My husband and family lived at Crabtree Farm just below Pipworth Rd School. Not sure if this is the one you mentioned they lived there for many years. The lane at the side of Crabtree went rite down to Darnall came out at the bottom of Prince of Wales Rd. Could this be the one you mentioned Albert.

Regards Vera.

The lane or rough track I've in mind ran from either the end of (The then) Harbough Ave, Pipworth Road or may be above, just below what we called ' The little wood ' with the air craft gun camp on the other side and came out on ' Manor Lane? ', almost directly opposite a pub that was just above ' Steads '.

I thing that the lane which you refer to would be the one that ran close to the Darnall Greyhound Race Track?

The lane or rough track I've in mind ran from either the end of (The then) Harbough Ave, Pipworth Road or may be above, just below what we called ' The little wood ' with the air craft gun camp on the other side and came out on ' Manor Lane? ', almost directly opposite a pub that was just above ' Steads '.

I thing that the lane which you refer to would be the one that ran close to the Darnall Greyhound Race Track?

i remember my dad telling me he was in the home guard and used to man the guns on the manor field i have know idea what they were called and he is long gone ,but i assumed he meant the the manor field at the back of beaumont rd because thats where he lived .but he did say they used to fire at aircraft hope this helps j

i remember my dad telling me he was in the home guard and used to man the guns on the manor field i have know idea what they were called and he is long gone ,but i assumed he meant the the manor field at the back of beaumont rd because thats where he lived .but he did say they used to fire at aircraft hope this helps j

Does anybody remember if there was an anti-aircraft balloon over the army camp. I think I can vaguely recall one.

There was a sweet shop very near that pub on Manor Lane. It may have been next door. It was always open on Sundays and we used to go there before we went into the Cemetery. Our favourite game in there was to find the gravestone of the youngest child who had died. It was the only recreation we had on Sundays, apart from Sunday school, as we were not allowed to play on the sabbath.

Does anybody remember if there was an anti-aircraft balloon over the army camp. I think I can vaguely recall one.

I'm almost certain that a anti-aircraft balloon was flown over Norton R.A.F.Dept on Hemsworth Road(?).

I remember going into the sweet shop on Manor Lane after my father came out of the pub next door. (I think someone inside took bets). We'd then walk up the lane passing the Castle remains over a stile into Manor Fields and back home. That would be in either 1942-43. Can't anyone remember the pigeon loft or hut that stood on the bank side at the end of Waltheof Road?

Hi Albert,

I think the lane you talk of was at the bottom of Pipworth we used to walk down that way but it must have started further up near Harbrough ave. Remember just near the wood was the four houses police houses they were my friend Molly Wasnidge lived in one of them.

they were made of big concretes block not like the brick ones down there. It was known as the Littlewoods then and always had the bluebells in there. It carried on then to Bowden Holmstead Woods as it was called then. Hope I'm rite.??

I remember the Army Camp over there on Manor Lane we used to hear the army fellas shouting during the air raids.

Don't know of the sweet shop Tatty that must have been pretty close to City Rd Cemetry. I will have to get out my book on Sheff and do some revision (how soon we forget)

Regards to All Vera.

Can anyone recall when then ' Flying Bombs ' raided Sheffield?

I've memorys of my eldest ' Jean ' coming into the bedroom, which everyone shared with my Mother, shouting that she had just seen a Rocket with a fire in its tail directly above the house.

I think it took my Mother ten seconds flat to have us all out of the house and into the air-raid shelter with all our clothes in a heap.

I've often wondered where that bomb eventually came down to explode.

There was a sweet shop very near that pub on Manor Lane. It may have been next door. It was always open on Sundays and we used to go there before we went into the Cemetery. Our favourite game in there was to find the gravestone of the youngest child who had died. It was the only recreation we had on Sundays, apart from Sunday school, as we were not allowed to play on the sabbath.

Was the shop PALUZZIS I remember the son BILLY serving in the shop in the middle fifties.

Was the shop PALUZZIS I remember the son BILLY serving in the shop in the middle fifties.

I think that ' Tatty Dumps ' is correctly mentioning a Shop AFTER the Manor Castle, on the left going down Manor Lane toward where/are/was ' Steads'. It was just before a pub on the same side.

I think that you are referring to a shop, On the opposite level, side of Manor Lane. On the left side going to City Road, It was on the corner of the short road that ran from Manor Lane to the Cemetery Gates, where I believe Dovercourt Road finished or started.

Can you remember a Pigeon Loft,Hut or what they live in, which was built on the bankside at the end of Waltheof Road?

I think that ' Tatty Dumps ' is correctly mentioning a Shop AFTER the Manor Castle, on the left going down Manor Lane toward where/are/was ' Steads'. It was just before a pub on the same side.

I think that you are referring to a shop, On the opposite level, side of Manor Lane. On the left side going to City Road, It was on the corner of the short road that ran from Manor Lane to the Cemetery Gates, where I believe Dovercourt Road finished or started.

Can you remember a Pigeon Loft,Hut or what they live in, which was built on the bankside at the end of Waltheof Road?

the 1951 Kellys gives afish and chip shop just above the church at the side of Warley Rd it was no 32 Fred Wagstaffe.

beyond the castle and before the manor castle inn was a Shop Mrs Bertha Eason at 209, at 227 was Mrs Ada Pelllucy shopkeeper, the 1942 kellys gives the same shopkeepers but no shop at 32.