Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

I think that ' Tatty Dumps ' is correctly mentioning a Shop AFTER the Manor Castle, on the left going down Manor Lane toward where/are/was ' Steads'. It was just before a pub on the same side.

I think that you are referring to a shop, On the opposite level, side of Manor Lane. On the left side going to City Road, It was on the corner of the short road that ran from Manor Lane to the Cemetery Gates, where I believe Dovercourt Road finished or started.

Can you remember a Pigeon Loft,Hut or what they live in, which was built on the bankside at the end of Waltheof Road?

You are spot on Albert. I remember the shop as being very small and had ,I think, three steps leading up to it.

Hi there my name is Peter Hewitt, I can distinctly remember the things you typed about, Can you remember the O'Brians who lived near the fishing pond on Queen Mary Road. oh what lovely memories.

I can't remember you Peter but I can certainly remeber the O'Briens who lived at the junction of Basseldine Road and Queen mary Road. I remember Tommy, Walter, Pat and Glenda. I lived at 191, :wave:at the junction of Queen Mary Road and Queen Mary Crescent. Generally known as Mavis Turner even though my name was Petch

I can't remember you Peter but I can certainly remeber the O'Briens who lived at the junction of Basseldine Road and Queen mary Road. I remember Tommy, Walter, Pat and Glenda. I lived at 191, :wave:at the junction of Queen Mary Road and Queen Mary Crescent. Generally known as Mavis Turner even though my name was Petch

I worked with Walt and Pat also their sister Emma at a cutlery frim called Donnellys on Portobello St, Walt did live just down Gleadless Rd not far from me I think his widow Sally still lives there.

Do you remember The Baldocks, and the Charlesworths ? both familys lived on Baseldine, I also had a relative that lived on the corner of Fitzhubert and Baseldine, they were called the Slacks, I also had relatives on Woodthorpe Close called the Halls.

I think you must be around my brothers ages. I can remember the names but the one I knew most was Fred Hall who lived on Woodthorpe Close. He and my brothers, Alan and Brian used to knock about together. Sadly Alan died in 1994. I have a picture of all there gang with Kiss-me-quick hats on at some seaside excursion

i use to live on the opposite side of the road from the slacks i remember the charlsworths and boldocks mrs charlsworth remarried and was called marshall . Mr Marshall was a binman they had a daughter lynn who is a very good friend of mine.as for the boldocks i meet their youngest daughter once a month for a coffee as we both used to work together untill we were made redundant.on bassledene road there was at the top end the kitchens,boldocks.darlows and mellors on the opposite side there was the wainwrights,rodgers,stephensons,battys and the charlesworths i cant recall the rest of the street but i do rember the o brians their grandaughter kim lives not far from me

Does anyone remember, which regiment was stationed their?

Did it ever shoot any aircraft down or did they only use flack and search lights?

Do we have a Forum member who was stationed their?

What was the name of the Farm on Manor Lane opposite to the camp?

And did the rough lane to the farm start at Harborough Ave or Pipwoth Road?[/QUOT

Just catching up with all the post after a long abscence due to sickness in the family. I lived on Pipworth rd from 1939 to the 50s. just four doors away from the school My name was Vera Pope then. I haven't come across anyone from my days there. My husband and family lived at Crabtree Farm just below Pipworth Rd School. Not sure if this is the one you mentioned they lived there for many years. The lane at the side of Crabtree went rite down to Darnall came out at the bottom of Prince of Wales Rd. Could this be the one you mentioned Albert.

Regards Vera.

Hi, I went to Pipworth Road school from 1938----1947, I think that you and I were there at the same time I remember the farm quite well I think a lad from the school lived there for a while called Gordon Woods, if memeory serves me right there was a girl called Grace Bonsall. You could walk straight through the woods at the bottom and finish up in Handsworth near the triangle Estate.

Regards Sapper211

I was born at 134 Windy House Lane sufficient to say a very very long time ago, and Stand House school was the first school I attended,but only for very short time as my parents moved into the city centre.

I was baptized at St Swithuns church.

Our holidays were spent at Ridgeway camping, when it was out in the sticks, the houses finished at Manor Top, and Ridgeway Road was through fields,the farm where we went for years was owned by the Rodgers Family.

A long time ago but I will keep searching my ageing memory for any more memories.

HI Highnote, Windyhouse lane around that number Iworked there, [family named Nutbrown,] dose it ring a bell? The young lad and Iwas called from the roof to have a drink the old lady was saying how lovely was her grandson with lovelyNUTBROWN hair, the lad exploded as he was swallowing, allover the kitchen , she said unknowingly[ GONE DOWN WRONG WAY LOVE]we were in stitches Happy days Arthur.

Hi Sapper 211 I was sent from Norbury Hall as a18 yr Home Guard in 1942 to train with the regulars to use the VII rocket launchers we were mostly on nights, and mostly play cards , but we were sent one Sat;to actually fire one at some unknown place, the noise and flames frightened us to death , enjoyed that period of my life especial the Brag card schools there were2 the penny one and £ one

HI Albert That would be a rocket launched on test, Iwas on the manor gun site 1942 at18yrs old in the home guard the flying bombs you refer to were land mines came down with parachutes several were dropped in the blitz Cheers Arthur.