Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Does anybody know exactly where the Z battery rocket launchers were on Manor Lane during the Second World War as my father was one of the dads army operators? Are there any maps of it?
The army camp was on lane on the other side of the pub and I was attached as a Home Guard on the z guns in 1942 aged 18 Cheers Arthur.

Hi Sapper 211 I was sent from Norbury Hall as a18 yr Home Guard in 1942 to train with the regulars to use the VII rocket launchers we were mostly on nights, and mostly play cards , but we were sent one Sat;to actually fire one at some unknown place, the noise and flames frightened us to death , enjoyed that period of my life especial the Brag card schools there were2 the penny one and £ one

Hi Arthur, I remember the card sessions especially on the leave boats from Germany,we used to play until it docked Harwich,some winners and plenty of losers. I think the bloke that ran them was a regular traveller on these trips..

The only frightening thing I ever saw in the army was when the RSM fell into a bog he came out looking like an oversized Toad, and vowing that if any body laughed they'd have a session in the guardroom. I did have a yen to be in the army when I was fourteen, so I join the Army Cadets at Standhouse School, we had a couple of weeks away every year, in the three years I was with them we went to Cleethorpes twice and Mablethorpe. (I may have met TATTY Dumps outside Newsteads). I remember going to Endcliffe Hall to take exams for my first stripe.

Hi Tatty Dumps, My Gran used to live next door to the O'briens on the other side was a lad called Georgy Napton.I knew Harry Hewitt,the four wybourne lads,tommy ,phil, mousey, joe. I also knew a lad called Carl your brother I believe. another lad that was called Walt Smith,and a kid called Norman who knocked about with Carl. The last time I saw you ,you were working in a shop at the Manor top Think it used to be Abbots.

Are you puzzled? TTFN

i use to live on the opposite side of the road from the slacks i remember the charlsworths and boldocks mrs charlsworth remarried and was called marshall . Mr Marshall was a binman they had a daughter lynn who is a very good friend of mine.as for the boldocks i meet their youngest daughter once a month for a coffee as we both used to work together untill we were made redundant.on bassledene road there was at the top end the kitchens,boldocks.darlows and mellors on the opposite side there was the wainwrights,rodgers,stephensons,battys and the charlesworths i cant recall the rest of the street but i do rember the o brians their grandaughter kim lives not far from me

I am a cousin of the Boldocks or second cousin and a cousin of the Slacks, Emma Boldock was my Auntie when she was married to a man called Ratcliffe but I have not seen them for over fifty years. I think it was Mary Charlesworth who married David Mulcrone from off Prince of Wales Road and it was his father who Walt & Pat O`brian plus myself worked for.

I think you must be around my brothers ages. I can remember the names but the one I knew most was Fred Hall who lived on Woodthorpe Close. He and my brothers, Alan and Brian used to knock about together. Sadly Alan died in 1994. I have a picture of all there gang with Kiss-me-quick hats on at some seaside excursion

There were two families called Hall on Woodthorpe Close, one family lived at the very top on the left hand side and I can only remember Derek, the other Halls lived around four houses below Derek Hall and these Halls were my cousins and a family called Hallam lived directly opposite them. The head of the Hall household was Arnold Who never worked and his wife Mabel (my Uncle and Aunt) the children were Pat, Hazel and Eileen who lost a leg through infection when she fell down on the close and I have never seen these relatives for over forty years.

HI Albert That would be a rocket launched on test, Iwas on the manor gun site 1942 at18yrs old in the home guard the flying bombs you refer to were land mines came down with parachutes several were dropped in the blitz Cheers Arthur.

Its a strange feeling to realise that if one had parachuted close enough to where I lived that I would not be sat here writing this now.

lazurus sadly both emma and her husband are both dead now and the ratcliffes and boldocks have spread far and wide .i am meeting jackie boldock tomorrow for uor monthly get together i will mention our conversations to her perhaps she might have an idea who you are although i dont think you will be related to her if it is the ratcliffes who are your relations. peter ratcliffe one of emmas sons now lives on the woodthorpe

There were two families called Hall on Woodthorpe Close, one family lived at the very top on the left hand side and I can only remember Derek, the other Halls lived around four houses below Derek Hall and these Halls were my cousins and a family called Hallam lived directly opposite them. The head of the Hall household was Arnold Who never worked and his wife Mabel (my Uncle and Aunt) the children were Pat, Hazel and Eileen who lost a leg through infection when she fell down on the close and I have never seen these relatives for over forty years.

I used to live next door to your auntie and uncle on Woodthorpe Close.. I'm talking about the late 70's, (when I was born) and the eighties..

We lived at number 11 and your auntie and uncle lived at number 13..

They used to keep goats and had an electric fence that went around the front garden.. :D

If we weren't carefull when we went down the path, we got the shock treatment... :hihi:

I used to go to school with Scott, your auntie and uncle's grandson..

I remember Eileen with the one leg.. :)

The other Hall's that you mentioned are Helen and Derek Hall that lived at number 17.. My mum is still friends with them now..:D

Hi Tatty Dumps, My Gran used to live next door to the O'briens on the other side was a lad called Georgy Napton.I knew Harry Hewitt,the four wybourne lads,tommy ,phil, mousey, joe. I also knew a lad called Carl your brother I believe. another lad that was called Walt Smith,and a kid called Norman who knocked about with Carl. The last time I saw you ,you were working in a shop at the Manor top Think it used to be Abbots.

Are you puzzled? TTFN

Did O'Briens live a the botton of Basseldine Road/ Queen Mary Road across from the fish pond? And if you knew Harry Hewitt did you know my brother Raymond?

The army camp was on lane on the other side of the pub and I was attached as a Home Guard on the z guns in 1942 aged 18 Cheers Arthur.

Thanks for the info.Which pub do you mean?Do you have any pictures or more info of the home guard as my father was there on the z battery.How long were you in the home guard?