Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Did O'Briens live a the botton of Basseldine Road/ Queen Mary Road across from the fish pond? And if you knew Harry Hewitt did you know my brother Raymond?

Morning Albert,

If you looked up Basseldine Rd to wards St swithuns their house would be on the left set at angle to the corner. I mentioned that I knew a Walt Smith he lived on Q.M Crescent, I can't recall a Ray Smith. I only knew Harry through the cadets. I lived further down the estate on Fretson Road, near the Motehall pub(as was)

Thanks for the info.Which pub do you mean?Do you have any pictures or more info of the home guard as my father was there on the z battery.How long were you in the home guard?
about 6mths on the guns but previously was at norbury hall ,before that at burngeave vestry hall and was one of the first with the L,D,V, arm band, circa1941 joined under age kept saying i was to bring my birth cert; next time, but it died a death when we were changed to home guardand kitted out in kalki and black gaiters, Cheers Arthur.ps the pub was the manor castle

lazurus sadly both emma and her husband are both dead now and the ratcliffes and boldocks have spread far and wide .i am meeting jackie boldock tomorrow for uor monthly get together i will mention our conversations to her perhaps she might have an idea who you are although i dont think you will be related to her if it is the ratcliffes who are your relations. peter ratcliffe one of emmas sons now lives on the woodthorpe

Just tell her Im one of the Malones. I do remember Peter and his brother Freddie and they were brought up in not very good conditions.

I am a cousin of the Boldocks or second cousin and a cousin of the Slacks, Emma Boldock was my Auntie when she was married to a man called Ratcliffe but I have not seen them for over fifty years. I think it was Mary Charlesworth who married David Mulcrone from off Prince of Wales Road and it was his father who Walt & Pat O`brian plus myself worked for.

I am emma and cliffords Boldock youngest daughter and i remember kitchens still see the darlows linda susan and philip and mrs wainwright,joy stephenson kim o'brian,and the rest of my family the boldocks and ratcliffes

I am emma and cliffords Boldock youngest daughter and i remember kitchens still see the darlows linda susan and philip and mrs wainwright,joy stephenson kim o'brian,and the rest of my family the boldocks and ratcliffes

Im afraid that I dont know any of the names you mention, is been nearly fifty years since I knocked about round there with my other cousins Brian and George Slack.

Morning Albert,

If you looked up Basseldine Rd to wards St swithuns their house would be on the left set at angle to the corner. I mentioned that I knew a Walt Smith he lived on Q.M Crescent, I can't recall a Ray Smith. I only knew Harry through the cadets. I lived further down the estate on Fretson Road, near the Motehall pub(as was)

We lived at 137 Windy House Lane until about 1946/7 When we moved to 77 Holgate Crescent, Parson Cross. Harry Hewett lived next door to Brian Starr. I think that he had a younger brother call Peter and a elder one who was called Gorden Eastwood.

Harry Hewett along with my elder brother Raymond use to frighten the living daylights out of most of the younger lads of my age with the ( Tall ) stories.

One was that if we ever were walking on a path on the allotments opposite City Road Cemetary Wall near to the Manor Castle. We may come across a Princess who would ask if we could show her the way back to the Castle's Tower.

We weren't allowed to look took close at her, because if we did, we would notice that, ' She'd have her head tucked under her arm ' and that was why she could not see over the allotments hedges to find her own way around!!

Harry Hewitt and my brother Raymond were really good at spinning yarns and usually all of the youngster sat down whilst they spun them, taking it all in!. Can anyone else living on Windy House Lane during the war years and shortly after remember any others?

Photos on the link below:-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8964&l=11c32&id=645681893

Has anyone memory's of playing on the Rec that was,or still is, on Hastilar Road boarded by Queen Mary Road, Hastilar Road and (I've forgotten, its that log back).

In my day. prior to 1946 it was fenced off with only one entrance. If the Park Keeper caught you climbing the fence he'd giveyou a clout and stopped you playing with everyone else for that day.

Yes Albert I spent many happy hours on the "rec". If I remember rightly it was in three tiers. The bottom one, nearest the gate, had the roundabouts then the middle was the swings . The top one had the flying plank and the rocking horse. There was the park keepers hut and a hut where we could shelter when it rained and also there were toilets. Aaaah, fond memories.

Hi Tatty Dumps, My Gran used to live next door to the O'briens on the other side was a lad called Georgy Napton.I knew Harry Hewitt,the four wybourne lads,tommy ,phil, mousey, joe. I also knew a lad called Carl your brother I believe. another lad that was called Walt Smith,and a kid called Norman who knocked about with Carl. The last time I saw you ,you were working in a shop at the Manor top Think it used to be Abbots.

Are you puzzled? TTFN

Not puzzled,... scared. I can understand you knowing all my childhood mates, I was quite a tomboy then as I had three brothers and they couldn't go out to play unless they took me with them. Norman was Norman King who lived next door and I remember Goerge Knapton very well. What worries me is the Wybourn lads, I was 14 and I knocked about with Mousey, Norman Browse, my first love, then there was Tommy Brookes, Phil Smith and Joe Parish who knocked about with my mates Betty, Margeret and Barbara. I really hope you are going to tell me who you are.