Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Hi Fletch I most certainly do remember the nit nurse to put it mildly she was not a nice person. I always had nits but never had blue dye on - I left school in '48 so it may have been a new concoction they had thought up. I always went to school on Monay doused in sassafras oil which stunk to high heaven. My mother used to spend all weekend with the steel tooth comb - get us clean and then when we went back to school we caught them again because nearly everybody in the class had them. I went to Stand House. What I really hated at that clinic was the dentist, God I got some pain from that man. He was giving me a drilling once and slipped and went into the bottom of my mouth. How did they get away with it?

Hi Fletch, Did you go swimming at Prince Edwards and did you have your own pool or go out to one? We, at Stand House had to go to Woodthorpe school once a fortnight and it was great. I passed it in a car about a year ago and it was really run down. Does anybody else remember going there. We had to go in the slipper bath first before we went in the pool and again when we came out. I suppose it was the equivalent of going in the showers as they do now

Hi tatty.Prince Edward School did not have a swimming pool so like you we had to go to Woodthorpe School and yes like you we had to in the slipper bath first.I hated to go swimming but you had to go.Two reasons why I hated is 1.the water was so cold and 2.I had no swimming trunks of my own so I had to use my bigger brother's swimming trunks and of cause they was aways falling down to my ankles,thank god girls was not alowed to swim with the boys I WOULD HAVE DIED A THOUSAND DEATHS.If I remember right the authorities closed all the swimming pools down some time in the fifties because of the outbreak of Polio.

Can anyone remember how we obtained those White Tickets to get into the Swimming Baths free during the School holidays and week-ends?

Can anyone recall the (Pie-clate ?) shop on Division Street where they were made on a big flat hot table in the shop? We called there after going to Glossop Road.

Anyone with memories of the ( Horse Meat ) pie shop at the top of Dukes Street. We called there after going to the Park Swimming Baths.

I remember spending hours in the hot slipper bath because the big bath water was always about one degree above freezing.

One thing that I've often thought over the years is. Was the water in the swimming baths coloured green because of some chemical being put into the water to kill the lice and/or house bug eggs which we may have unwittingly carried or was it green for some other reason?

Good morning Mr Smith

If you knew Sally and Harold Ellis it seems to me that you know/or have connections with a lot of poeple I know. Could you be my long lost cousin from Australia - the one who found all that gold?

A distant relative as just phoned to tell me that I do in fact have a relation who emigrated to Australia in the early 1900-10. He's just located them.

The family out there actually have a web site, so I'l come back with news if it is relevant.

( provided I'm not made a cut above everyone else!! )

Can anyone remember how we obtained those White Tickets to get into the Swimming Baths free during the School holidays and week-ends?

Can anyone recall the (Pie-clate ?) shop on Division Street where they were made on a big flat hot table in the shop? We called there after going to Glossop Road.

Anyone with memories of the ( Horse Meat ) pie shop at the top of Dukes Street. We called there after going to the Park Swimming Baths.

I remember spending hours in the hot slipper bath because the big bath water was always about one degree above freezing.

One thing that I've often thought over the years is. Was the water in the swimming baths coloured green because of some chemical being put into the water to the lice and house bug eggs which we may have unwittingly carried or was it green for some other reason?

The horse meat shop I remember is during the war it was situated just below the Norfolk Picture House. There was always a queue there and I had to go there to buy some for my brother's and father's tea. I could never eat it because before it was cooked it smelled awful and the fat on it was yellow. Surprisingly the male of the family never knew what they were eating, they thought it was something my mum had managed to get on the black market.

Tatty-Dump ( Nee Mavis from Queen Mary Road past 'Clever Dick' attendee of Stand House School ) can you remember the fairly large blacl Van and Trailer that came around the Manor Estate during the war-time years and what it came around for?

My brother once told me it was to put the local 'Gestapo' in!! but as the years have gone bye, I've come to realise that it was another of his tales!!

Tatty-Dump ( Nee Mavis from Queen Mary Road past 'Clever Dick' attendee of Stand House School ) can you remember the fairly large blacl Van and Trailer that came around the Manor Estate during the war-time years and what it came around for?

My brother once told me it was to put the local 'Gestapo' in!! but as the years have gone bye, I've come to realise that it was another of his tales!!

These eyes have seen a lot of things but not a big black van with trailer. The only thing that springs to mind is that it could have been the bug van. Hygiene was not top of a lot of poeple's list at that time and in the small area that I lived in there were quite a few houses that had to be "stoved". The families had to move out for the day while the house was debugged. That's the only thing I can think of, then again your brother could be right. Yours is a right queer family isn't it?

These eyes have seen a lot of things but not a big black van with trailer. The only thing that springs to mind is that it could have been the bug van. Hygiene was not top of a lot of poeple's list at that time and in the small area that I lived in there were quite a few houses that had to be "stoved". The families had to move out for the day while the house was debugged. That's the only thing I can think of, then again your brother could be right. Yours is a right queer family isn't it?

Tatty - Dumps - You have hit the nail on the head. I now remember someone talking about ' Houses being stoved '.

Was that done to kill house bug infections and vermin?

I can still remember bugs climbing up the wall in the bedroom!! and mice in the panty, when I lived at 137 Windy House Lane.

Though I don't remember the house being ' Stoved '.

From memory, the toilet was attached internally to the house with the entrance from the outside. When you entered the kitchen, entrance to the bathroom was through a door on the right-hand wall. The bathroom running adjacent to the outside, but internal toilet.

At the outside kitchen door entrance, on the left was a deep pot sink which was set directly below the kitchen window with the small panty door next to it. In the far left-hand corner was a door to the coal house. ( Coal or fuel was kept in the centre of the house )

In the living room on the left-hand wall was a open fire which had a oven and a back hot water boiler with pipes which had pipes leading to the hot water cylinder situated in the top left hand corner of the room.

In the right -hand corner was a penny in the slot Gas meter.

Normally when emptied, this had a number of washers etc the same dimensions as a penny. I'd often get a clip from my mother for putting them in when the gas man called to empty it!!