Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Yup! sounds about right Albert, things crawling all over the house and mice, especially when the lights were off, but to be stoved the house had to be practically crawling and there was a danger to the inhabitant's health.

Your houses on Windyhouse sound about the same as ours. Coal house in the kitchen and Pantry in the living room. there's no wonder there were bugs etc.,

My mum did all the washing cooking and baking in the kitchen and then somebody walked past with a shovel full of coal and spread the dust all over. Our bathroom was in the kitchen as well. I think the only thing they got right was to put the lavatory outside the back door - where it should be NOT in the middle of the house as they are now. I bet you were a right little s*d when you were little - putting washers in the gas meter. Glad you got back from Ipswich OK.

Looking back on my childhood years spent on Windy House Lane on the Manor Estate. Attending St Swithens ever Sunday before, and after, I joined my brother Raymond in the choir. I can truthfully say that, though I lead a life of poverty by todays standards I can not recollect being or doing anything bad or being rotton to anyone.

Shortly I'm going to have a trip up to my old home. In my childhood I've memories of looking out of the back bedroom window of 137 Windy House Lane, over the city to the countryside behind. I'm going up to see what bit of the countryside I was looking at.

I'll post the pictures in FaceBook on here

I keep looking for Malcolm Mercers Book ' Life on the Manor in 1930s ' So if anyone as got a copy the lend or for sale. I'm interested.

To Albert T,

I have a copy of the book you mentioned ,I had it as a going away present when I left Sheffield twenty yers ago, just to remind me of what I was going to miss. If by any chance you can`t borrow a copy locally I would gladly loan you my copy. By all accounts I left at the right time with all the drugs and shootings and god knows what, we only managed to get burgled once before we left. I don`t know if you have tried the Telegraph and Star publicatios for a copy that is where the book came from,as I said this was twenty years ago. I think I qualify as a being a Manorite even though I left to go to Intake in 1959, after I was married. We left then in 1988 to live in Norfolk,I`m the bloke you forgot to deliver the Ostermilk to last week, I think Tatty would be interested in the book as well there are two photos of the ARP from the St Swithuns and the manor area, she did mention her Dad had been in the ARP.

There are a couple of maps showing the Manor from 1928 before it was actually built and after it was built.

I was born on the Manor in 1933.

Lower of Fretson Road, between the Crossways and The Circle( lower end)

Went to Pipworth Road school, from 1938 --- 1948.

Worked on railway up to me going to do National Service

I think we`ve met before

Sapper211

Sapper211 - Thank you for the offer of lending the book though I feel that ' Tatty ' should have it first. ( Ladies before Gents ) whilst I have another look round.

I knew someone who lived down at your end of Fretson, but at the moment the name escapes me. (Old Age). I think they lived at the first house, of the second semi-detached on the right-hand side of the top of the crossway's!!

The name Jennings rings a bell.

Hi Albert,

I did know of someone called Storer,that lived on that side that would be about 1948. Someone else I knew lived the other side of Fretson Rd. on the Crossways called Lawrence, he would be about four years older than you. I offered the book to you because you asked, if Tatty wants to borrow it she has only to ask. Hope you are successful if you try Hutch`s suggestion.

By the way you`re about the same age as the wife, you may know her Dorothy King as was ex Standhouse and Prince Edwards regards sapper211

Hutch - Thank you. I'll hopefully have a copy by this time tomorrow.

Sapper211 - If I they don't have a copy, I'll await Tatty-Dumps first refusal. Thank you.

Dot King doesn't ring a bell, but its a long time since I went to Stand House. I'll ask one of my sisters Joan who's a year and half older than me if she can remember.

The name,' Storer ' rings a distant bell. Was his first name Horace?

From memory he played right back and I played left back in the school football team.

( We still lost or I can't remember ever winning!! )

My name is Arthur Denton and I lived at 125 Windy House Lane from 1942 to 1953 with my twin brother Michael.

Unfortunately, Michael passed away in May 2004.

I have been reading all the messages and remember a lot of people and places who are mentioned such as; Stand House School and Mr Hague was my last teacher. Miss Hartley was the headmistress. I left Stand House in 1947. and went to Carfield.

I lived across the road from the Hewitts, Starrs, Bainbridge, and alongside Fred Armstrong.

I also remember the Bickerstaffs also Billy Wainwright who lived up the road and Walt Reaney, the Cryers. In my class I remember Gordon Bullimore, Spud Parker, Joyce Smith, Hazel Bark who I sometimes see around Handsworth.

There were two kite makers near Windy House Lane and one was called Jobar.

One of my best friends was Terry Smith who I have not seen since 1946

I used to go to the army camp at Manor fields and the soldiers used to give us chips through the wire fence.

My name is Arthur Denton and I lived at 125 Windy House Lane from 1942 to 1953 with my twin brother Michael.

Unfortunately, Michael passed away in May 2004.

I have been reading all the messages and remember a lot of people and places who are mentioned such as; Stand House School and Mr Hague was my last teacher. Miss Hartley was the headmistress. I left Stand House in 1947. and went to Carfield.

I lived across the road from the Hewitts, Starrs, Bainbridge, and alongside Fred Armstrong.

I also remember the Bickerstaffs also Billy Wainwright who lived up the road and Walt Reaney, the Cryers. In my class I remember Gordon Bullimore, Spud Parker, Joyce Smith, Hazel Bark who I sometimes see around Handsworth.

There were two kite makers near Windy House Lane and one was called Jobar.

One of my best friends was Terry Smith who I have not seen since 1946

I used to go to the army camp at Manor fields and the soldiers used to give us chips through the wire fence.

And before we pop our clogs, ' Pop ', hopefully we will meet again soon.

So P.M. me your e_mail - Terry Smith.

In the meanwhile I'm off down town to hopefully buy M Mercers Book, ' A Portrait of the Manor '.

(It sounds really ' lardi darr ' !!)

I obtained a copy of Malcolms book recently ISBN:0 9534267-7-7-7 AND WAS A NEW COPY FROM SMITHS OR THE SHEFFIELD SHOP SURREY ST,

I called ' Sheffield Scene ' on Surrey Street and they did not have a copy of the book. Actually the woman who I spoke to told me ' that she did not think that they ever sold it.

A young woman at the Manor library was extremely helpful but alas she could not direct me to a seller although it is available in the library. So before I get it from the library I'm going to try to buy it else where. Any ideas anyone?

A Portrait of the Manor in the 1930s by Malcolm Mercer.