Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

So it was the same Canon who smashed my brother's sledge, for sledging down QM Rd by the side of the church too then. He broke it's back over the church wall. Also the same Canon who used to give my friend's dad money for beer even though the rest of the family were without money. He was a character, not just known for his drinking habits either.

So it was the same Canon who smashed my brother's sledge, for sledging down QM Rd by the side of the church too then. He broke it's back over the church wall. Also the same Canon who used to give my friend's dad money for beer even though the rest of the family were without money. He was a character, not just known for his drinking habits either.

Are thar talking aboot my dad!!

Which Canon are you talking about, was it Father McGillycuddy. I remember him well when the gypsies were living near Darnall he invited them all Mass and bought them all ice creams. I can't remember seeing them at Mass again. He actually performed my nuptuals. He also never missed a Friday night coming round for money for the church - which we could ill afford.

You are quite right Sapper my dad was in the group photo and my mum was in the one of the group of women who met on Wednesday afternoons. I once had the book you spoke about but I was stupid enough to lend it out and it never came back. When you and that owd codger have decided its fate let me know. By the way I think he is Terry Smith! A helpful hint would be that he is very good, indeed excellent, at winding us up. Give my love to Dorothy. Tatty

Which Canon are you talking about, was it Father McGillycuddy. I remember him well when the gypsies were living near Darnall he invited them all Mass and bought them all ice creams. I can't remember seeing them at Mass again. He actually performed my nuptuals. He also never missed a Friday night coming round for money for the church - which we could ill afford.

Yep, Father McGillucuddy. I remember a big gypsy wedding held at the church. It was a great night, better than the tele, the fight spread from the church grounds across PoW Road. There was a poor young policeman who turned up on his own, he had to send for back up. The Canon knew what he was doing having a bingo hall there three times a week, must have been a gold mine.

: :i used to live in bassledene rd on the manor estate from the fifties to late sixties my family lived there a lot longer as i joined the army and now live in berkshire our family name is stephenson has anybody any news about mick reynolds we used to get the cane together at prince edward school for smoking does anyone remember clifford unwin who had the postoffice and grocer shop we could not have survived without him in the early days derek steve

Oh yes he certainly helped a lot of poeple but there was always a catch in it and a price to pay

Yep, Father McGillucuddy. I remember a big gypsy wedding held at the church. It was a great night, better than the tele, the fight spread from the church grounds across PoW Road. There was a poor young policeman who turned up on his own, he had to send for back up. The Canon knew what he was doing having a bingo hall there three times a week, must have been a gold mine.

If there was money to be made McGillycuddy was your man. I think all the parents of the kids at that school, including myself, built the new church for him. Every morning the kids couldn't go to school without twopence for a brick.

i remember father mcgillyguddy he used to sell the bingo ticketsin the church hall on a friday night.i used to go with my mum .it was in the days before it got a licence so the strongest drink you got was an orange juice

You may have got the orange juice love, but remember he used to live next door