Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

in reply to former e-mails which i have come across ,there is afew relating to the ellis family who lived at 133 windyhouse lane,i remember the day that harold came home from the far east, a sight that has stayed with me for all of my life . i am glad to hear that he had a long and happy life for if anone did harold have a daughter called i beleive pat?if so i was the one who helped pull her out of thewash-tub after she had fell in head firstalong with her grandmother who was baby-sitting at the time .

i also remember edwin hobson who was killed outside standhouse school he was one of the gang that we played with.

icannot recall a mavis living near the fish pond but i recallect a walter and pat o;brienliving across qeen mary rd facing.

in reply to former e-mails which i have come across ,there is afew relating to the ellis family who lived at 133 windyhouse lane,i remember the day that harold came home from the far east, a sight that has stayed with me for all of my life . i am glad to hear that he had a long and happy life for if anone did harold have a daughter called i beleive pat?if so i was the one who helped pull her out of thewash-tub after she had fell in head firstalong with her grandmother who was baby-sitting at the time .

i also remember edwin hobson who was killed outside standhouse school he was one of the gang that we played with.

icannot recall a mavis living near the fish pond but i recallect a walter and pat o;brienliving across qeen mary rd facing.

It was Edward Hobson who was sadly killed outside Stand house, I lived next door to him. Pehaps you may remember my brothers, Alan and Brian Turner. Pat and Marie Ellis played with my eldest daughter Susan. Are we in the same generation I am 74.

My wife lived on Ravencarr Rd. She attended Pipworth Rd school, 1930

Hi,

I have just joined and have found your posting. I am looking for information about my fathers' family who lived at 8 Ravencarr Road about 1930.

They were Ernest and Annie Beatrice HUDSON and they had 2 children Ernest Jnr.(my father) and Alice.

I would be very grateful if you have any knowledge of them

Thanks

Veronica

Greetings All,

I wonder if all you Manorites can remember a family called Martin who lived at 68? Fairfax Road? That was on t'other side of Prince of Wales road to where I lived; 3 Fairfax, until I was 6 (1946 to 52). The lady, Doris, was my aunt and I am trying to trace my Martin cousins, whom I have never met; despite the previous proximity of our homes. Her eldest son, William Henry, was the best man at my father's wedding and was only a few years younger.

Can anyone help me please.

Regards,

Bob Webster.

PS I went to Standhouse for 2 years before moving to Handsworth.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I am trying to find out about the Hudson family who lived on the Manor Estate until about 1931

They lived at 8 Ravencarr Road which I believe is no longer there.

The family comprised Ernest Hudson and his wife Annie Beatrice. They had 2 children, Ernest born 1921 and Alice born 1924 Ernest Jnr. was my father and I am anxious to find out what happened to him,which school he may have attended etc.

Does anyone know where I might find school entry and leaving records for the 1930's.

I realise it was a long time ago but please can anyone help?

Thank You

Veronica

They would almost certainly have attended Stand House Junior School or Pitsworth Junior. After Eleven they would have attended Prince Edwards Senior School or Pitsworth Road School both on Prince of Wales Road. I was too young to remember them but I do hope someone will come on board to let you know.

I was the one who remembered the day that the Telegram boy called at your ' Grandmothers ' with the news that Harold was alive but a Prisoner of War in the Far East (Japanese).

I can remember the whole street joying in the good news. It was like a Street Party with out any food!!

I can also remember that sometime afterwards when Harold arrived home he took off his shirt to have a wash and I could see the marks where he had been either lashed or whipped.

I was with Edwin Hobson when he was killed by a street grate lorry, Though I must have been very young I can remember a man throwing his coat over him.

I hope sincerely that I do not ever see that ever again.

• 4 weeks later...

i was born on the manor in 1972.. lived at archdale rd till 1982.. went to standhouse.. my parents lived on the manor on while growing up on morthall rd (bothe) they were Hearson and leek/crawshaw and my grandparents (bothe sets) lived on the manor...

• 2 weeks later...

I have just read all the posts about "who lived on the Manor Estate in the 30 - 50's" and my mum (Joan) has asked me if anyone can remember the Daniels family, lived at 122 Fitzhubert Road. Harold & Elizabeth and their children Horace, Ivy, Joan & Betty.