Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Hi

My mum used to go to Pipworth Road School in 1942 - 1952, here name was Marina Batty, does anyone remember her? Also she had two sisters one called Elaine and the other Hazel.

Also she remembers these infant teachers, Miss Drinkwater, Mrs Cooke.

In the juniours, Mr Jewel, also seniour teacher, Mrs Warran (Very Strict).

Hope you can help and find some old class mates.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

My dad went to Pipworth Road school and was born in 1938 on Allison Crescent he came from a family of 6 boys Jack, Barry,Harold, Roy, David and Peter and I believe my nan used to run a grocery shop spme years later on Fairleigh

Hi

My mum used to go to Pipworth Road School in 1942 - 1952, here name was Marina Batty, does anyone remember her? Also she had two sisters one called Elaine and the other Hazel.

Also she remembers these infant teachers, Miss Drinkwater, Mrs Cooke.

In the juniours, Mr Jewel, also seniour teacher, Mrs Warran (Very Strict).

Hope you can help and find some old class mates.

Thanks

Did your mum used to live on Basseldine Road?

Hi JuStu, only just come across this forum and have been bringing my parents memories back to life with some of the wonderful stories I've been reading.

My mum was brought up next door to you at 19 Wulfric Place, although she was a good bit older than you. Her name was Brenda Wild, born 22.04.1937, and lived there until she was married in 1957. Mum had 2 brothers, George & Pete and a sister, June. My Gran (Annie Wild) still lived there until the 80's or 90's(?) when Wulfric Place was pulled down for redevelopment. Mum remembers your family and tells me that she remembers visiting your mum when she had just had a baby (might have been your younger brother or sister), but refusing to sit on the bed just in case it was catching!!

Mum went to Norfolk School as often as she could - she tells me that she couldn't always go as she didn't always have shoes to wear!

My Dad (Eric Bingham) was born 20.12.1934 and lived at 101 Archdale Road with brothers Jack, Keith, Brian & Roy and sisters Ethel, Irene, Maureen & Annie. There's so much that he remembers when reminded of the old school names - I'm going to have to speak to him at length to get it all recorded for posterity!

Dad went to Stand House school and can remember loads of names that people have mentioned on here and he was pals with the lad who got killed underneath the drain cleaner truck. He seemed to have numerous part time jobs as a kid, one was working at the Maypole, he earned 7 shillings and had to give 6 of it to his mother....another working at the chippy at Manor Top (where he got the sack for falling asleep - the owner said that he couldn't manage this job and his paper rounds as well).

Mum and dad married in 1957 at St Swithuns and lived in rooms at Darnall before moving to Hammerton Road, Hillsboro for a short time. They then moved back to live on Manor Park Drive around 1960. I (Andrew Bingham) arrived in the world in 1964 to join my big sister Katrina and we attended Manor Lane school - we lived on the Manor Park until 1971 when we moved up to the Newstead Estate at Birley to enjoy all the mod cons of central heating etc.

If anyone knows my mum or dad or other members of their family please let me know and I'll pass on your memories, but they've not got access to the internet so I'm busy printing these pages off for them - it's amazing what they can remember and I'll report more when I can.

hi andrew

does your dad remember my friend vera thompson, sister of ron who married irene bingham

hazel

hi my father-inlaw lived on queenmary rd with his sister and parents in the 30's his name was ken brown sister was muriel his father only had 1 arm don't know if anybody remembers him. i lived on windyhouse in the 80's big difference in time and what people did has a bad rep now in some parts but i don't think it was so bad when i lived there. father-inlaw went to standhouse and prince edward school not sure what years, i also went to prince edwards years later.

hi my father-inlaw lived on queenmary rd with his sister and parents in the 30's his name was ken brown sister was muriel his father only had 1 arm don't know if anybody remembers him. i lived on windyhouse in the 80's big difference in time and what people did has a bad rep now in some parts but i don't think it was so bad when i lived there. father-inlaw went to standhouse and prince edward school not sure what years, i also went to prince edwards years later.

I remember the Brown family, I lived next door but one to them. Your father in law had his back garden full of rhubarb and he used to sell it in bunches for 6p or a shilling. I last saw Muriel about 30 years ago, she walked very badly but she always worked - she was working in an office at the top of Church street. I don't remember Ken very well he must have been older than me, I am 74. They lived next door to the Hobsons whose son was killed outside Stand House school and then there was us on the corner, next to the fish pond, the Turner family. On the other side there was the Robinson family, whose son , Bernard married Doris Hobson, sister of Edward the boy who was killed, they were childhood sweethearts and last time I saw them they were still very happy. Aaaaaah sweet memories.

Did your mum used to live on Basseldine Road?

My mum lived on The Circle, which is on the Manor. My mums dad was called Walter Batty and her mum was Ellen Elizabeth Batty, her nick name was "Nelly".

What where your parents names?

• 2 weeks later...
I remember the Brown family, I lived next door but one to them. Your father in law had his back garden full of rhubarb and he used to sell it in bunches for 6p or a shilling. I last saw Muriel about 30 years ago, she walked very badly but she always worked - she was working in an office at the top of Church street. I don't remember Ken very well he must have been older than me, I am 74. They lived next door to the Hobsons whose son was killed outside Stand House school and then there was us on the corner, next to the fish pond, the Turner family. On the other side there was the Robinson family, whose son , Bernard married Doris Hobson, sister of Edward the boy who was killed, they were childhood sweethearts and last time I saw them they were still very happy. Aaaaaah sweet memories.

On your side of the road past the gennel to fields were the Lees (Margery). Round the fish pond past the Robinsons were the Baileys (Frank). Also around that area were the Garners and the Reynolds.

On Basseldene Road were the O'Brians (Pat, Georgie and the others), and the Leedhams (can't remember the elder son but remember Sadie and Danny). On the opposite side of the road to the O'Brians were the Horrys ("Curley" and Janet). Curley married Maureen Benn from Woodthorpe Close. Back on Queen Mary Road were the Mortons but can't remember the sons' names. I think the Newtons (Trevor and Ennis) lived around there before moving to the bottom of Cary Road.

On Woodthorpe Close lived the Duckinfields (Tommy), the Cupits, the Benns (Maureen, Gilbert and Carol), the Fosters, the Halls. On the other side of the road lived the Sellars (Roy?), the Bromhalls (Ernie and Frank), the Turners (Tommy), the Hallams (Fred, Brian, Roy and Roger), the Learys (Terry and others), and the Newtons.

On Queen Mary Road past Woodthorpe Close were the Grimbleys (Dennis, Brenda, Barry and others), the Watkinsons (Jean and a brother Terry?) and the Hills (Mary, another daughter and Alan).

BTW tatty dumps, I knew Alan and Brian from my Standhouse days. I was sorry to hear about Alan.

Drove on Fitzhubert Road from Cary Road to Windy House Lane and down Windy House Lane to Standhouse School the other day. It felt rather claustrophobic going past the new houses, they seem so close together. It made me realise how lucky we were to have such wide open spacing between the original houses. It also reflects the sign of the times, i.e. how expensive land is nowdays.