Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

41 Stonecliffe Rd was in a different patch to me at no.63, things were very territorial then. If you wandered off alone you were always on the defensive, I remember going into Manor Castle with a couple of friends and getting ambushed by a gang of kids, frightened the life out of us, ran like hell. I always think of mychildhood as waiting for something to happen and if it didn't then we'd make it happen. Also we always seemed to be running away from something!

Hi janet,

I also remember the large figs that were on them, pity they didn't ripen.

My gran lived at 152, Queen Mary Road, next door to the O'Brians.

Do you remember the large black chow dog that was at the house up Basseldine next to the O'Brians?

Regards m.

the chow dog belonged to susan young an only child she is still friends with my sister margaret. i will tell her you remeber the dog but not her

Manaman. I only lived a few doors below Tom's shop. He used to charge 3d. then for a 'basin cut' , which I would'nt have. Always opted for the short back and sides routine. I cant remember Max though. Youre ringing a bell with Fairfaxes though. Youve just triggered another memory I'd entirely forgotten about. Wasnt the plantation on Fairleigh replaced by a static water tank in the war-time?. Cheers.

Hi john gilpin,

My era was probably 10 years behind yours, so we are slightly out of sinc. with some of our memories. I think my haircut was a bit dearer than 3d. People that I remember living a few doors below Tom's shop were the Wrights and the Gooneys. I can't help you about the water tank on Fairleigh. But I can remember the trees around the roundabout being chopped down and the road widened for the buses to get round easier.

Regards m.

Just remembered something. Literally, Iv'e still got a FIXED connection with Fairleigh !!. In the late 50's , I was employed on there as a wireman for British Relay and Wireless Co. The job was to run a cable, house to house at gutter level to receive wirelss and T.V. transmissions from a mast at Crookes.via land line. The last job we did was the Arbourthorne estate and whenever I go up East Bank rd. I'm chuffed to see that our fixings have stood the test of time.

Hi john gilpin,

I can remember our house being wired up for the BRW system. Sometime later I can remember a relay station complete with aerials, being built just off Queen Mary Road adjacent to Scotia Drive, but I can't remember if this was for another system.

Regards m.

Great stuff. The bakers shop was the Baltic bakery (taking its name from Baltic road near Banners somewhere. ). Ive often thought of suing them(JOKING) , for being responsible for my addiction to their iced torpedo buns, causing my Diabetes. Does anyone remember ASA BRIGGS(dubbed the Sheffield SEER) due to his many predictions in the STAR. (From the CIRLCLE area).? In his late years, he worked on my gang at Cravens, Darnall. Intersted to know about him.

Hi john gilpin,

I remember the Baltic Bakery.Was the shop next to it a greengrocers? This had the ladies hairdressers above.

I knew Asa Briggs and his family after his Sheffield Seer days. I think they originally lived on Archdale or Fairfax Road and later they moved to Scotia Close.

Regards m.

the chow dog belonged to susan young an only child she is still friends with my sister margaret. i will tell her you remeber the dog but not her

Hi janet burton,

I can't remember Susan, but I can remember her mom taking the chow for walks. My gran, who lived next to the O'Briens, had a collie. I used to take him out for walks on the fields. He was a good dog usually, but he could't stand the chow. If ever he got the opportunity he would try and take a bite out of it. All he would get for his trouble would be a mouthful of black chow hair. The chow would be unharmed.

That's why I remember the chow.:D.

Regards m.

HIYA M. What a coincidence re. BRW. on Fairleigh. Regarding BRW/Queen Mary, I remember us excavating and laying inthe trench a thick cable. Preparotory for the new sub-station??. The green-grocers below, left of Tom's, was Scorahs. There was another green-grocers next to Gebhardts. Gooney's lived down the road, at no. 123. Thanks for update on Asa Briggs. My very earliest memory of Fairleigh was of a ladies hair salon,other side of plantation to Brough's. Some builders were working outside of it and had just mixed a huge pile of concrete. Thinking it was solid, I ran up the side of it and sank into it!. Then ran home and my mother put me in pot sink and washed it all away. Bye for now. John.

I was born in '47 at 63 Stonecliffe Rd. first house above Harborough Ave. left there when I was 19. My memories of Standhouse are of happy times, 'old man' Rackham was a scary figure to us juniors in his brown pinstripe suit and gold rimmed glasses, not helped by rumours of his terrible canings, when he became our form master I was filled with trepidation. I soon realised it was all hype as he proved to be a good and kind teacher tho he wouldn't stand any nonsense. 'Old man' Miller used to slap you hard across the backside if you were naughty! there would be an uproar today. The man who made kites was called Abdul Jobar or Jibi i think, used to make a basic one or 'deluxe' model, green and white I think. Anderson shelter sledges were a bit before my time but my older brother, born '35, used to ride one with others down Fretson Rd.! a real white knuckle ride. I used to pay 9d for a real haircut (down to the wood) by Tom the barber at Fairleigh.

Hello Chrishall

I went to Standhouse between 1953 and 1957. I remember both Mr Rackham and Mr Miller. Mr Rackham was a scary figure who tried to get us to appreciate music. When we had assembly he would go around listening to anyone who was 'growling' and turf them out. Mr Miller used to to walk us to the playing field off Prince of Wales Road to play football. I remember playing against Woodthorpe once and we all had to bring white shirts as the school could not run to providing a kit. Also remember milk monitors and selling biscuits in the corridor at break times. What was the name of the headmistress? For some reason a Mrs Wright comes to mind but I may be wrong.

I also went to Tom's for a haircut on Saturday mornings along with dozens of other kids. The Saturday matinees at the Manor Pictures was always popular.