Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Hi yes that was him i believe he was a tyler,not seen him for 40 years or more I new one or two down your end peter lowe off the circle melvyn wright but i think he was a bit younger,brian noble,and a few more It gets a bit like time travel doesnt it regards

Yes I was an apprentice tiler same as him. I remember Melvyn Wright, he was a bit older than me, used to be a bit flash playing mabs, had a sister Jean and they lived next to the jennel. Pete Lowe had a sister, also Jean, lived next door to the McLennans, their son Georgie was a pal of my older brother Ivan Hall - born '39

Definitely like time travelling.

cant remember their sisters but their was carol wilkinson,i remember ,she had a younger sister and brother perhaps you remember them.Also dennis holland but i didnt know him that well he lived on stonecliffe.remember the tip on harborough,i first rode my motor bike on there.I remember them building the steel inn and the shops.And the manor park .

cant remember their sisters but their was carol wilkinson,i remember ,she had a younger sister and brother perhaps you remember them.Also dennis holland but i didnt know him that well he lived on stonecliffe.remember the tip on harborough,i first rode my motor bike on there.I remember them building the steel inn and the shops.And the manor park .

I recall the Wilkinsons top of Stonecliffe and all the Hollands as well, their mum used to call them for tea, Mo, Do, Mick, Den etc etc. everyone had a different call from their parents. Next door to us were the Barkers with Trevor, Keith and Patricia. On the circle from Harborough Ave it was Turner, Hudson, Smedley, MacLennan, Ford, Barnsley, Wright. The tip was our favourite place, remember stinking nannies? I recall us all being on top of the little cliff as they dug it back with the excavator to make room for the Steel Inn. Last house on Stonecliffe on the left before Manor Park was built was nicknamed Walsh's Farm? It's the other way round now with open ground on the Manor Estate side.

My father had an allotment down near kettle bridge (beind cravens).so we often walked on harborough to the fence at the end,down the jennels and across the fields where the parkway is now if you remember there were cows in the fields and loads of skylarks, bet you havnt heard one of them for a long time

• 2 weeks later...

I lived six doors from the Steel Inn and played in the large hole that turned into its cellar. I remember Dennis Holland very well, as a child he had what my Mum called " twiddley toes" which I believe he had an operation to put them right, he was a very nice lad and if my memory serves me well he was unfortunatley killed in a lorry crash which he was driving.

I have a class photo taken at pipworth road school taken about 1930 the teacher on it was a miss wrighte the headmaster was mr roberts' i.ve memories of playing round woodthorpe hall before it was demolished to build the woodthorpe estate. Hours spent climbing trees in bo wden houstead woods and being chased by the woodman,swimming in the open air bath

Does anyone have a Class photo from Pipworth road school form 1933 ..1942?

I am trying to find a photo of Audrey Guy born 1927 who moved to Desmond Crescent with her family the Bothams in 1933 and attended that school.

Their mother died in December 1944 and the youngest children Beryl, Marian, Pansy, Terry, Tom, Anne, Geoff and Freddy were all taken into the Fulwood childrens homes and did not see their oldest sister again as she left the area.

My late mother (1923-2002) went to Prince of Wales Kindergarten in 1927/28 - her parents had a newsagents/confectionery/icecream shop, probably on Prince of Wales Road or City Road, which went bust during the Great Depression. Can a local historian tell me more about their shop's likely location and more about that:help::help: area for the 1927-1931 period?

Best if you could give your mother's maiden name and name of the shop etc. My brother was born in 1923 and who knows, could have been in the same classes together. His " kindergarten" was known locally as The Wooden Huts, in the Queen Mary Crescent area, before Stand-House school was built. I know these names wont mean much to you but i mention them 'cos they may come in handy for further research. As for a description of the area, there's bucketsful on this forum. No doubt you'll get dozens of more posts. P.S. As a longshot, Would Hurst's newsagent (close to Prince of Wales Road) ring a bell?

Edited by JOGI