Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

I don't remember Jonnie Mac Brown ' at the Manor Pictures Matinee. I started going around 1954/55. Does anyone know when Saturday Matinee's started at the Manor Pictures? The Sheffield Star used to advertise loads of cinemas every night in Sheffield. During the week I think the programme ran on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and changed for Thursday, Friday and Saturday with (I think) a one-off programme on Sunday. You could spend all evening in the pictures.

Thanks for those shops. I do remember some of those and yes the Co-op was much further away.

All these years have gone by and I never ever knew the name of the boy. Just for clarity, ' What would have been the address of Edward Hobson? Someone at some time will be pleased that we left our memories when they are writing about the Estates in Sheffield.

At a guess I would say that the accident happened in 1943 - 46?

The fish pond that you were often dragged from . Was it the one on the right hand side of Queen Mary Road below Waltheof Road.

Can you recall the railings that hung over the drop at the end of Waltheof Road. The name of the game was to try to get right to the end of the railings whilst being bounced up and down like a ' yo yo ', before you fell off

Did you go to Snaith when the Vicar Pascoe retired or left St Swithens? I think he left his curate to run things, A man Mr Emerson who I believe had been in the Navy.

Edward's address was 189, Queen Mary Road, I lived next door at 191. I think the accident happened around 1944/1945. He was actually dragged under the refuse truck because his boot laces were undone and they got caught in something and dragged him under. The fishpond I was pushed into on a regular basis was at the bottom of Basseldene Road - at the bottom corner of Queen Mary Crescent. It was a semi-circle of land that was divided in half, one half was the pond and the top half( near Waltheof Rd) was what we used to call the plantation - just grass with a clump of bushes in the middle.

i came on to the mamor in 1953 when i was just two years old i lived at the corner fitzhubert road and bassledene road. ithe fishpond was at the bottom of bassledene road. i can well remember when they filled it in because for quite a while after squashed frogs ccuuld be found in the middle of the road .run over by the cars going up and down bassledene'i still live on the manor now it is agood place to live despite what its said in the media about it.most manor occupants have lived onthe manor for years

:gag: :gag:

I lived on the Manor, Queen Mary Road, for about 40 years. I used to work at Hagues chip shop. I also lived next door to the old fish pond and was drtagged from it soaking many, many times after being pushed in. My family name was Turner.

Tatty Dumps

mavis talking of hague s fish shop do you remember when i went to get our dinner one day and took steven in his pram i came back with the dinner but left steven outside shop ma went mad i run back up to shop like i was jet proppelled ,but in them days it was a much safer world than today steven was happily sleeping when i got happy days

mavis talking of hague s fish shop do you remember when i went to get our dinner one day and took steven in his pram i came back with the dinner but left steven outside shop ma went mad i run back up to shop like i was jet proppelled ,but in them days it was a much safer world than today steven was happily sleeping when i got happy days

The only thing wrong there June was that he was still there when you went back. Please, please don,t tell him.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh he was so cute

This is what a friend thought of my son Steven Connolly, he lived on Queen Mary Road and went to St Theresas and on to St John Fishers. He is 43 this year . Does anybody remember him. He left the Manor in the 80's

i was born on the manor in 1933at 137 windyhouse lane, i attended standhouse school which was at the bottom of the lane on queen mary road

i had plenty of mates down there harry hewitt eric bickerstaffe walt reaney bryan star.

iremeber going on to the manor feilds and warring with the wybournites,there were what appeared to be thousands of kids all going to kill one another but somehow it never quite worked out like that,all we got were cut and buises and a good hiding for being late in.

does anyone recall the fishing pond on queenmary road at the bottom of cullabine road i caught my first fish there it must have weighed all of half an ounce but it won the match that day.i rember the allotments also most of them empty when all the owners had gone off to fight in the real war,i often wonder how many returned.

I too was born in 1933 and went to Stand House School, I lived on Queen Mary Road, further down than Walt Reaney. my name was Mavis Turner/Petch

The chip shop on Fairleigh across from the Post Office was kept by Locketts for years before Hagues took over,i used to dash from school on a friday for a pennorth and a penny fish 3 times (with plenty of scraps on),the Post Office was kept by Swanns next door was Smiths green grocery shop,then came Gebhards at the corner of Windy House.Lower down Fairleigh was Broughs grocery shop with Hirsts newsagents,that became a shoe repair shop when Hirsts had a new shop built at the corner of Cullabine Rd Around 1938 On the other side of Fairleigh was the Coop grocery with a chemist shop along side,between there and the Maypole was Airies who ran a firework club for the kids,does anyone remember the bald headed manager in the Maypole it was a treat to watch him with the butter slappers.At the top side of the Graves Trust houses was Watsons sweet shop with a chip shop along side of it,there would be a queue down Wulfric Rd outside Lockets but no one would go to Watsons.Allens butchers Shop was at the corner of Windy House Lane

If anyone has,nt read Malcolm Mercers Manor In The Thirties it is well worth reading,that is if it is available now,it was the best Xmas present i had