Grading in martial arts

Do u think gradings in any martial arts is over rated? i personally think that a grade say u have got to a certain standered and u can do it. But alot of people just get the grades and dont understand what they are being tought and how it work and how it supose to be used. ie a srtike or a block. I prefere to learn the movement and learn it over and over if that sounds ok

Over-rated perhaps in the sense that for a lot of people the next grade is the target. Equally, having a tangible target/measure of progress is nice to have.

I also feel it can be a good guide to what your training partner may be capable of. For example, I wouldn't ask a senior grade to fight all out against a more junior grade, something that is easy to determine at a glance.

Do u think gradings in any martial arts is over rated? i personally think that a grade say u have got to a certain standered and u can do it. But alot of people just get the grades and dont understand what they are being tought and how it work and how it supose to be used. ie a srtike or a block. I prefere to learn the movement and learn it over and over if that sounds ok

iv had a few differnt instructers in a few differnt styles and iv found the ones were it takes you ages to move up a grade are better because you have to eran it. one style i did was go-kan-ryu and and you were gettin a new grade nearly every other month not that good a style realy

grades in different arts represent different things - in some arts a coloured belt means that one can demonstrate the 'moves' (for want of a better word) that are appropriate for that particular grade, whilst in other arts (such as judo), a belt means that one can apply the 'moves' against a fully resistant opponent.

to most people it means im 1 nearer black belt which is totally wrong way of thinking. its ok gettin the grade that says u have achived that standered. But what i have found is that its ok sayin that but dose the person know the moves to a point where they can use it effectivly and understand it. Then bein able to perform it when under pressure when they need it. Now days people are flyin through grades with out understaning anythin they learn to a higher degree

... Now days people are flyin through grades with out understaning anythin they learn to a higher degree

That depends entirely on the system/organisation in question. Some allow fast progress, some medium, some deliberately hold students back.

But what i have found is that its ok sayin that but dose the person know the moves to a point where they can use it effectivly and understand it. Then bein able to perform it when under pressure when they need it.

i agree, hence why i cited judo as an example. admittedly judo is rule-bound, but so are all other combat sports, and a good judoka knows they can perform their techniques under pressure because they get their belts as a result of being able to do so (within the context of judo).

wot would u rather do speed through your grading without understanding anythin u have been shown or go slower and understand wot u have learnt and how it is to be used or preformed and applied i`d go for the second personally

I agree with Jedi Warrior. I have seen people who have been awarded all sorts of high graded belts.

At AFK I am proud to say this doesnt happen.

A grading at lower levels should never be superman standard but at least should have a decent standard.

This is how I label the different belts.

WHITE BELT= Has a basic knowledge of the bread and butter basics. Can do what is required in a beginners class and is ready to learn how to kickbox as opposed to just being a "keep fitter"

RED/YELLOW belts = Past the begginer stage. Has a knowledge of kickboxing technique with an awareness of the application of attacking and defensive techniques with a rudimentary ability in sparring.

ORANGE belt= Showing a solid grounding of most basic techniques , punching, kicking and defensive and a basic knowledge of elbow/knee technique. Students at this level are showing confidence in sparring to at least interclub level.

GREEN belt = Students at this level are AT LEAST competition standard. Without being that level at least they wont reach that grade. That does not mean they are forced to fight but by Green Belt level they are at least good enough to do so.

PURPLE/BLUE belts= These students are senior grades and have a thorough understanding of basic and advanced techniques. They can spar confidently under both american and oriental rules. They are competition standard and can spar comfortably with a fighter who competes regularly.

BROWN belt= At this level an AFK student already has the ability and understanding that they are ready to teach within the club. They have the knowledge of the syllabus and are able to coach senior grades and do corners for fighters.

BLACK BELT = This should be self explanatory by now. By the time I have approved someone for Black Belt, I will comfortably leave them in charge of a class without myself present.

Examples= Big Andy, Richard Quinn (Both are corner men on AFK shows).

Hope this provides an insight?

Archived