Any Fibromyalgia sufferers out there?

I've been taking a dietary supplement for a year or so , for arthritis , and it really seems to help . Some of the many (160-plus) Amazon reviews also state that it has helped people with fibromyalgia . It contains about 10 different herbs , all of which have , in their own right , well-researched anti-inflammatory properties . Eg turmeric , basil , green tea ,resevratol ( the good ingredient in red wine !) etc .

Might be worth a try , the only problem is that it comes from the US , and the postage is expensive unless you buy a few at the same time . I've found that Spring Valley is a reliable seller . It works out at £10 a month which is a small price to pay to be pain-free !

Probabaly best to check with your rheumatologist about any interactions with your existing meds first ?

I am an M.E. and FM sufferer too, so you have my sympathy.

I was lucky and had a sympathetic doctor. I honestly thought the dinosaur doctors who think it's all in the mind were a thing of the past, but apparently not. ME is recognised by the World Health Organisation (not sure about FM) which actually gives you certain rights, in as much as a doctor must recognise it as an illness and take pains to treat it or refer you to someone who can. Fairlawns at Middlewood is an excellent place and I'd recommend it.

However, in spite of various treatments which haven't worked for me I've come to the connclusion that self help has been the most beneficial thing for me, arrived at through trial and error.

I've read several very good books on the subject and adapted a lot of the advice to suit me. I think that's one of the problems actually, it affects every sufferer diferently, so they each have to find their own way.

I take a lot of supplements but have found Co-enzyme Q10, Magnesium and probiotics particularly helpful. I work hard at staying positive, meditate everyday, and avoid stress as much as possible. I eat healthy, organic food, and try and get some fresh air every day, even if it's only sitting in the back garden. I stay in bed when I have to, though very warm baths and massages help with the aches and pains. I find optimum sleep for me to be about 5 hours a night, any more and I simply can't get up at all, and feel as though I've been hit with a shovel. Chemical smells like perfume, disinfectant, and cleaning products set me off so I avoid like the plague, as does fruit juice.

It's weird. And it's a pain. But you can learn to live with it. The good thing is it makes you really appreciate the good days. You never take them for granted.

• 3 weeks later...

hi there l am also a suffer and after many years of being pssed about and told its all in my held finally three years ago went to see a new doctor at RGH and after all the usual tests got told it was CFS and FM among other things wrong with my health they did act eventually. when l started to pass out with pain and fit bing hospialtized l was put under DR PRICE who also is at the Hallamshire she is great within one year l have morphine patchs this week l off to see a nuro chap to see if l have early onset of dementure which will be a big thing off my mind LOL dont know if l am going mad or its firbo fog as they say my local doctors left me in limbo for years so just keep trying folk and l get DLA BUT dont know how l will go on with the PIP thing

Two very good books which I would recommend are;

'Living with M.E.' by Dr Charles Shepherd

and

'M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A practical Guide)' by Dr Anne Macintyre

Both have sections on Fibromyalgia. Very informative and useful, they also look into the problems of getting a diagnosis, and the implications.

I wonder, has anyone tried Accupuncture and had good results? I've thought about trying it, but it's expensive and I can't afford to waste money.

my wife suffers as well: the annoying thing about drugs on a long term basis 12 months or more is your body gets used to the drug and over time the drug becomes less effective , watch your diet,massage can sometimes help infer red Treatment sometimes is comforting

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I am also a sufferer. I was diagnosed at age of 19 with fibrositis (which was a similar diagnosis to FM, but I didn't know it, as mum said she had been given the same diagnosis and was told it meant "unspecified muscle pains")and since then until 6 years ago aged 41 I have been pushed from pillar to post. At some point around 33 years old I was een diagnosed with early menopause - till the test came back negative, then I was branded loopy again.

I have only just found out about Fairlawns medical centre with the ME clinic today, but when I looked it up it seems to cover all the things I have done already like CBT, but might be worth a go in case I need a refresher.

I would recommed the "Expert Patient" program if your GP can sort it out, there will be details on the web, but it is a 6 weeks course and it gives practical coping tips for life with a chronic condition, and puts you in contact with sufferers of other disabililities who have already overcome things you need help with.

The SHEFFIELD FIBROMYALGIA SELF HELP group meets every month in one of the meeting rooms in the Victoria Hall. (It USED to be in the Friends meeting house but moved around a year ago.) It is a really great way to meet people, and whilst at first it can seem a bit like everyone is trying to prove they are suffering more than the person next to them (as a lot of support groups seem to be if you aren't used to them), once you get to know the people there, they are really a good group and they are willing to help people from the first week they attend. In fact a group of us make time to go for a lunch afterward in town. The woman who runs the group is a sufferer herself and does really well, but more members are needed so the group can remain an integral part of the Fibromyalgia support network (as there is a payment to be made to the central point for support materials and payments for guest speakers, which she tries to arrange each month). This is the link to the site:

http://www.fibroaction.org/Pages/Sheffield-Fibromyalgia-Self-Help-Group.aspx

IT WOULD GREAT TO HAVE NEW MEMBERS :-), and chaps also suffer so there are blokes who go too. Partners can also benefit from going, as they can see that their loved one isn't the only one suffering, and can also pick up tips on how to cope themselves (and hopefully gain a little more tolerence).

Hope I haven't rambled too much and that this thread continues to help others with FMS.

Glenys

Hiya all, is FM the same as Osteoathritis?, I have this and had various joints replaced, waiting to have my second shoulder done...

A lot of the things I've read regarding FM seem relevant to my chronic OA..I get depression, very low moods sometimes..( sometimes feeling a bit scary)

One thing I've found is to try and relax as when my muscles are tense I get more pain, meditation does help.

I've wondered for a while if my pain is more than OA...:(

No fibro and osteoarthritis are different. Fibro doesnt physically damage the joints for one thing. I have both and the symptoms of one do overlap the other. When it comes to the pain it is hard to know which one is causing it most of the time.

It is possible that you have fibro as well but it may be depression as that is common due to the pain. You need to see your GP and have a chat about it.

Archived