Did anyone work at Oxo?

Guest poppins

• 3 months later...

No - but your mention of Oxo brought back memories of scrounging Oxo tins when we were kids. They seemed to be a precious commodity back in the fifties.We used them to keep our marbles, fireworks and bits and pieces in. When I went to work at the co-op after leaving school, I took great delight in handing over the red tins to eager young faces.

Originally posted by Banksia

No - but your mention of Oxo brought back memories of scrounging Oxo tins when we were kids. They seemed to be a precious commodity back in the fifties.We used them to keep our marbles, fireworks and bits and pieces in. When I went to work at the co-op after leaving school, I took great delight in handing over the red tins to eager young faces.

We have still got a couple of the old Oxo tins in the house, they have been used for donkeys years to hold dominoes, we have also got a Zubes (who remembers them) tin full of buttons.

Guest poppins
Originally posted by owdlad

We have still got a couple of the old Oxo tins in the house, they have been used for donkeys years to hold dominoes, we have also got a Zubes (who remembers them) tin full of buttons.

Sure, everyone had a tin full of butttons, mostly white shirt buttons in there, mom kept our tin on the stone slab in the pantry, tin was always cold.

Now you go to buy a card of buttons they come 5 on a card, a real rip off as you either need 4 or 6 buttons if your making something 1 button if your doing a repair job usualy.

Originally posted by poppins

Sure, everyone had a tin full of butttons, mostly white shirt buttons in there, mom kept our tin on the stone slab in the pantry, tin was always cold.

Now you go to buy a card of buttons they come 5 on a card, a real rip off as you either need 4 or 6 buttons if your making something 1 button if your doing a repair job usualy.

My you were "posh", you had a pantry. We had a stone slab in the cellar where Mum kept food. When the coalman was due we had to make sure to remember to cover the food up well otherwise "nutty slack" would be all over it.

oxo... when I was about 13 I was in a gang called the oxo gang we used to boil water on a camp fire then sit round drinking oxo or better still we eat it raw! the gang had about 8 members and for the initiation we used to have to eat about 6 cubes!

Archived