Does anyone remember Gloops?

depoix

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/escafeld01/GLOOPS.jpg

The Gloops Club was run by Aunt Edith and was launched on January 2, 1929. I was a member, apparently, but I don't know why, or what good it did. I was too young to know.

I think the cartoon started about five or six months before the Gloops Club was launched, for, while looking through copies of "The Star" for May/June 1953, I came across a special feature on the 25th anniversary of Gloops, and it prompted me to wonder about the men who drew gloops.

Tailor-made reminders of Barney Goodman. Back in the early 1950s, a colleague of mine went to work in Manchester where he called in a tailor's shop in search of a new suit. The tailor unfurled his tape-measure, then ran his fingers along my friend's lapels. 'Hello,' he said. 'Looks as if old Barney's still up to his tricks!'

anyone old enough to remember GLOOPS ? i had my photo taken with him in the fifties, i think it was in the sheffield star,were you a gloops club member ?

Yes, my friend. Gloops as a character did actually sell newspapers when I worked at The Star during the latter part of the second world war. During those war years The Star — then a good newspaper owned by Lord Kemsley — also sponsored The Sheffield Walk which took place either Easter or Whit; cannot recall which.

But yes, Gloops was a good idea at the time. In can also recall visiting a cat show at Doncaster Race Course, either late 1960s or early 1970s, when someone dressed as Gloops was running around the place, still advertising The Sheffield Star.

anyone old enough to remember GLOOPS ? i had my photo taken with him in the fifties, i think it was in the sheffield star,were you a gloops club member ?

Good Lord! From another SF member I, learn that in 1953 Gloops had a 25th anniversary. Today, he’d be only very slightly older than I am.

• 2 weeks later...