Does anyone remember Gloops?

depoix

My mistake Arthur - I did know a Bill Stanley in later life so I got them mixed up. Did your Barney's suit get you any blondes hanging on your arm ? Incidentally I think I had to wait 4 months for my suit in those days.

--I ALSO REMEMBER GLOOPS IN THE 40/50s.

I REMEMBER GOING TO SEE GLOOPS AT THE CITY HALL, AND THATS WHERE

WE GOT OUR BADGE FROM.

HE USE TO RUN ABOUT IN WHITE WITH BIG BLACK EYES.

GLOOPS DID A LOT OF CHARITY WORK AND GAVE DONATIONS TO THE-

OR`PHANAGE ,

THAT HOW THE ORPHAN KIDS GOT THERE CHRISTMAS GIFTS,

I WAS ONE OF THEM KIDS AND WAS VERY GREATFUL.

<< LOVE AND GOOD WILL TO ALL .>>

Hello Brian

Good to hear from you. The reason I started this thread was because as a child I actually was Gloops in that costume and had to attend the various charity events and other activities and talk to the children there. I did not have a photograph of myself in this costume and wondered if anyone else had one. I am writing a family history and wanted to explain about Gloops and what he was all about. A very kind person sent me a copy of a Gloops badge and ceritifcate and the Sheffield Star sent me a copy of the cartoon character. I don't know who took over from me when I grew too big to fit into the costume, that would be interesting to know.

Regards Coral

• 1 month later...
going off the thread a bit.any one remember albert the copper with the biggest hands in sheffield ? used to be the town ( fitzallen square ) bobby.......the bell pub and the elephant pub in the square ?police box in the wicker.......the free water supply ( and cup ) outside the sheffield court house oppossite the cannon pub, which used to have a men only room.....the brunswick pub..post office building in fitzalan square and the police box also the toilets where you could have a wash and brush up,not as grand as the ones out side the town hall,there still there under our feet,a time machine from towns history that just needs some one to sign the papers to re open them.where can you go for a pee nowadays in town ?

HI depoix l remember all those things,the Brunswick used to be very popular pub when Con Aherne was the landlord also the Cannon was a meeting place of builders when they were rained off ll was just thinking you must be about my age to recall those days ilm 85 next week Cheers Arthur

Hi I have a pair of Gloops cuff links, lovely blue enamel with Gloops Thile around the face of Gloops, Aunt Edith used to run the Gloops club in the Star, Initially Gloops spoke with a lisp but lots of children in the Sheffield area began to imitate him, so the Star started to have Gloops speaking correctly, think these cuff links were won in a competition by my Father around late 1930s or early 1940s

• 3 months later...

Say those pics are cute......I remembers the little guy! :cool::cool:

I have never lived in Sheffield, but I have worked in the city for a big chunk of my life. Always loved the place. ;);)

Seems to me it has lost a lot of the 'sparkle' I remember all those years ago. Remember how busy Fittzallen Square always used to be? Always humming with folk, bustling to and fro and at all times of the day. Always bright in the 'dark nights' of winter, with the lights from the old 'Classic Cinema' ; The 'Sleep Shop' and not forgetting old 'Wiggys'...eh? :)

The same place was quite dead when me and the missus passed through a few months ago now. Must admit to feeling somewhat sad at all this. :o:huh::confused: