Does anyone remember Gloops?

depoix

Kiwi----I think Chad's a bit older than Big Brother.

When Chad says ,"Wot..no ---- ?" he is having a dig at the wartime shortages and rationing. Since rationing went on into the early '50's with various products ,Chad lasted ,I think , until the mid--'50's.

I suppose , having him looking over a wall symbolised the "outsiders"who were short of evrything and couldn't afford to buy stuff on the Black Market.

Originally posted by sheffexpat

hahahaha very droll ...

I must have been a member of Gloop's Club too, when my parents died and i was clearing out I found a membership card and a badge ...

Another Star character I remember was Little Sport on the back page or was he in the Green Un? Just loved that biggggg quiff he had ...

Originally posted by sheffexpat

When Chad says ,"Wot..no ---- ?" he is having a dig at the wartime shortages and rationing. Since rationing went on into the early '50's with various products ,Chad lasted ,I think , until the mid--'50's.

I suppose , having him looking over a wall symbolised the "outsiders"who were short of evrything and couldn't afford to buy stuff on the Black Market.

l stand corrected mate. lts a terrible thing this senility

I must have been a member of the Gloops club in the 40's. Remember having the card and badge. So it must have continued for quite a while.

I too went in for the painting competitions and pressed my nose to the Telegragh window but nevr won.

Hazel

Do any of you 'older' folks remember an arcade type place on the Moor? It would have been on the left as you go down, and about where Woolworths is now. I vaguely remember it from when I was a kid. It ran from the Moor through to the parallel street at the back. Haven't got a clue if there were shops in it, or if it was a short-cut.

Has anyone ever heard of a street somewhere in Sheffield where they used to have to winch trams up and down because it was so steep? I remember it being pointed out to me when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I think it was somewhere around Newhall/Carlisle Street area. Might be wrong!!

Yes, I remember the arcade. I thought it was higher up more just past the Peace Gardens. There were shops on it. I remember a gents outfitters on the corner. I bought presents for my boyfriend there.

Don't remeber the tram being winched tho.

Hazel