Does anyone remember Gloops?

depoix

Guest poppins

Some girls had DA cuts, that was from Doris Day hair doos,

my days were all back combing and bleach, never did ruin my hair till this day, fish tail dresses where in stlye too, think that was from Doris ***** can't remember her name, she married Micky Haggerty, then got killed in a car accident.

Originally posted by KIWI

Do you remember the Teddy-Bear era?

Think you mean teddy boys KIWI. I was a bit too young, but I had an older cousin who I hero-worshipped and who was heavily into it for a while. Up to a couple of years ago there used to be one or two you still saw around town occasionally, same style, same gear, but in their t 50's!

The arcade you mention was a bit lower down from where Suggs is now, and it ran through to Union Street, at the top right was Barney Goodmans, a very high class gents outfitters,They made mens suits with massive shoulders, which made the men look real tough as they swaggered through town,at the other side of the Arcade was Suggs, and I think I also remember a card shop, standing at the top op the arcade was a blind man who I think sold matches.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an arcade with an entrance on Pinstone St, called the Cambridge Arcade. It had a jewellers and a camera shop where my mum bought me a second hand plate camera. She worked then at Singer's Sewing Machine Shop a little further down the Moor not as far as the Empire.

Does anyone remember:

the tailors Haycock and Jarman on Pinstone St? My mum (I was all she had) bought me a made-to-measure Crombie overcoat there for my 17th birthday in 1954 while I was at KES.

the shop on Charles St that sold chemicals?

Gloops was a plump cat who had a coat, striped trousers and a lisp. 'Thmile' was a catchword.

• 1 year later...
My nickname in school (1947-54) was always Gloops! Being a little fat, and wearing glasses, I guess I resembled Gloops, but it was never said to me in anything but a put-down!I hated that little feline! Then, lo and behold, Garfield came on the scene. Thankfully, I was too old to have that name bestowed on me. Just as an afterthought, when I first got a computer, and entered into the world of 'user names and passwords', the only name that came to me was, you guessed it, GLOOPS!!! Still use it to this day as my password!

I can't believe it,that's my password. He was in a comic strip in the Star. In fact I used Gloops as a username once on a talkboard.:o

Some girls had DA cuts, that was from Doris Day hair doos,

my days were all back combing and bleach, never did ruin my hair till this day, fish tail dresses where in stlye too, think that was from Doris ***** can't remember her name, she married Micky Haggarty, then got killed in a car accident.

I think that it was Jayne Mansfield that married Mickey Haggarty and then died in a car crash. Incidentally their daughter Mariska ( spelling not quite right) Haggarty stars on one of the "Law and Order" programmes.

Poppins

Just got back in and I suddenly realized the last name was wrong. The guy that Jayne Mansfield married was called Mickey Hargitay. Could this be the person you were talking about ? The "Law and Order" actress also has this last name.

I think that it was Jayne Mansfield that married Mickey Haggarty and then died in a car crash. Incidentally their daughter Mariska ( spelling not quite right) Haggarty stars on one of the "Law and Order" programmes.

Mariska Hargitay, the daughter of JM, also starred in early series of E.R.

wasn't Mickey Hargitay some sort of weightlifter/mister universe-ey type?

PT

• 1 year later...
anyone old enough to remember GLOOPS ? i had my photo taken with him in the fifties, i think it was in the sheffield star,were you a gloops club member ?

I certainly remember Gloops and being a member too. Even entered the Gloops Queen/princess competition - never won!!

My wife's still got her Gloops badge, it is inscribed "MERITORIOUS SERVICE - THE STAR GLOOPS CLUB" It has a face of what looks like a cat with "SMILE" inscribed underneath. She says she got it for attending school for four years without a day off - she left school in 1961 :smile: