Does anyone remember Gloops?

depoix

• 2 months later...
There was an arcade with an entrance on Pinstone St, called the Cambridge Arcade. It had a jewellers and a camera shop where my mum bought me a second hand plate camera. She worked then at Singer's Sewing Machine Shop a little further down the Moor not as far as the Empire.

Does anyone remember:

the tailors Haycock and Jarman on Pinstone St? My mum (I was all she had) bought me a made-to-measure Crombie overcoat there for my 17th birthday in 1954 while I was at KES.

the shop on Charles St that sold chemicals?

Gloops was a plump cat who had a coat, striped trousers and a lisp. 'Thmile' was a catchword.

Talking about Gloops I remeber as a chiuld and a member of a dance school I was actually chosen to wear the Gloops costume at various funcions, I can't remember what they were, but I was supposed to mingle with the children and be a happy little cat. I finally grew out the costume, thank goodness, it was very warm. I wonder if anyone has a picture of Gloops

Coral

anyone old enough to remember GLOOPS ? i had my photo taken with him in the fifties, i think it was in the sheffield star,were you a gloops club member ?

If I remember rightly, there was also another group thing in the Telegraph called the 'Childrens' Ring' although I cannot recall what it represented

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/escafeld01/GLOOPS.jpg

The Gloops Club was run by Aunt Edith and was launched on January 2, 1929. I was a member, apparently, but I don't know why, or what good it did. I was too young to know.

Someone mentioned Stewart & Stewart. They had the same vacuum tube system for collecting your cash and giving change, as the Co-op.

If I remember rightly, there was also another group thing in the Telegraph called the 'Childrens' Ring' although I cannot recall what it represented

Hi oldrowley,

You are correct, the Children's Ring was the children's club in the Sheffield Telegraph. This was run by "Uncle Timothy". If I recall correctly, whereas the Gloops Club had picture cartoons and appeared to cater for the younger child, the Children's Ring seemed to cater for the older child.

Regards m.

Hi oldrowley,

You are correct, the Children's Ring was the children's club in the Sheffield Telegraph. This was run by "Uncle Timothy". If I recall correctly, whereas the Gloops Club had picture cartoons and appeared to cater for the younger child, the Children's Ring seemed to cater for the older child.

Regards m.

Uncle Timothy was actually a City Councillor called Ernest Tindall, and he worked in the publicity dept of the old Sheffield Daily Telegraph. He wrote a daily column in the paper for 30 years, and was figurehead of the Children's Ring from 1930. He died in December 1968. A very decent man.

Edited by Redfyre
correction

Talking about Gloops I remeber as a chiuld and a member of a dance school I was actually chosen to wear the Gloops costume at various funcions, I can't remember what they were, but I was supposed to mingle with the children and be a happy little cat. I finally grew out the costume, thank goodness, it was very warm. I wonder if anyone has a picture of Gloops

Coral

If you search the sheffieldhistory site, there is a picture of Gloops. There is a thread re the men who drew Gloops, too. Sadly, pictures cannot be posted here.

Edited by Redfyre
correction