Citalopram Hydrobromide side effects

Side-effects vary a lot from person to person and are sometimes related to the dose and can be reduced by an adjustment. They usually fade during the first 2 weeks. It is also usual for the dose to need to be adjusted over time as the liver can get better a metabolising the medication and that may cause relapse.

If side-effects persist definitely talk to your doctor. There are many antidepressants and sometimes it is a case of finding the right one for you.

Treatment resistant depression, relapsing patterns, or increased mood swings on an antidepressant should prompt the doctor to start thinking about whether you have an atypical Bipolar Disorder.

Depression - they appear to be another version of Prozac (for which I give thanks daily).

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/rxdrugprofiles/drugs/cel1079.shtml

Citalopram is an SSRI, but that doesn't mean that it is at all the same as Prozac. The compounds are completely unrelated, which for most people is a good thing, because it means that if one doesn't work your doctor can always prescribe another and there's a good chance that because it works in a different way, it will work for you.

• 2 months later...

I have been prescribed 20mg Citalopram for the last 4 months now. I have found it to be a great help. The principle effects are subtle. Contrary to some misplaced popular belief, these things will not make you unnaturally happy all the time, it's just not true. What they do for me is make a good mood last longer, and also they help take the painful edge of the bad-stuff.

It took me about a week and a half to begin to notice the principal effects, but the first side effects I noticed were mild headaches and nausea within an hour of taking the dose. This occurred immediately. These effects only lasted for the first month and can be reduced by taking the meds with food, ideally for me, breakfast first thing in the morning.

An ongoing side effect worth mentioning is the effect on my sex-drive. I initially thought that it had reduced my sex-drive because arousal took much more effort, (not such a bad thing for a fella, it has to be said). However, the greater effort required is generously compensated by massively more satisfaction.

I do not like the interaction of alcohol with this med. It is possible to enjoy alcohol without any problems, but the worse effects of booze are worsened by this med, so I'm avoiding the drink.

In summary, yes I have noticed side effects, but they are mild by comparison to the benefit which citalopram gives.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope your healing is swift and sure.

Best regards.

• 1 month later...

I have been on these for a few years now and they worked well for me but ive had a few problems of late and im comming of them the sleeping or lack of it is the worst and bad dreams etc etc .

Like all meds there are side effects but they worked ok for me in the first years so give them a fare try

tim

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone, this is my first post, i just stumbled across this forum and it's great to know other people are in the same boat, sometimes it doesn't feel that way!

I have severe anxiety and panic attacks and my doc has started me on citalopram as of next friday. Has anyone taken it for the same kinda reasons, i really hope it works!:help:

Archived