Citalopram Hydrobromide side effects

Hey everyone, this is my first post, i just stumbled across this forum and it's great to know other people are in the same boat, sometimes it doesn't feel that way!

I have severe anxiety and panic attacks and my doc has started me on citalopram as of next friday. Has anyone taken it for the same kinda reasons, i really hope it works!:help:

Yup I have - and I found it very good :) Though don't rely on drugs alone - they will attenuate the panic feelings but you still need something like CBT to attack the panic triggers and try and build up your confidence and "life-stamina"

Hey everyone, this is my first post, i just stumbled across this forum and it's great to know other people are in the same boat, sometimes it doesn't feel that way!

I have severe anxiety and panic attacks and my doc has started me on citalopram as of next friday. Has anyone taken it for the same kinda reasons, i really hope it works!:help:

i knew id seen another thread on citalopram before when i was coming off it....so i did a quick search on it.

here are the results: [url=]http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=5054522[/url]

hope this helps, theres a fair amount of reading there! :)

x

CBT is cognitive behaviour therapy, where you're taught how to combat the negative thoughts that cause you to spiral into a depressed state in the first place. Combined with drugs it's very effective. The waiting list for a therapist in Sheffield is endless, but you can get books which are just as good, in my opinion.

Citalopram's initial side effects can be deeply unpleasant (it gave me heart palpitations, massive sweats, crazy sleep patterns, crazier dreams, incessant squits...) but they wear off after a few weeks and it does help you to stop feeling depressed. Hang in there!

hi all

vicky i have suffered from panic and anxiaty for quite a while i have tried quite a few things over the years from citolopram,fluxotine,prozac and like others have said its finding one that suits you.

im now having cbt to help the anxiaty and i do know the panic atacks are really awfull i hate them too..

citolopram didnt really work for me as i needed more help on the anxiaty and not on the depression sides eforox was ok but im now trying mirtazapine as that contains a small sedative for the help on sleeping with promozine for the panic attaks.

ask your gp for the cbt ive only just started it but apparently this is a really good treatment.

good luck

sarah x

• 8 months later...

:confused:Ive been on these for a week now. I have taken them before but cant remember side effects as bad as this! I have a stomach problem - hiatus hernia and reflux - these pills are making me feel as sick as a dog. I cant eat much and when I do I get terrible gas building up, also bad stomach and abdominal discomfort. I cnt sleep past 3.00 am!I wake up this time every nite and have had tremors and felt dizzy! I am thinking of going back to quack on mon. I have jst had 1 week off work through this. I have been prescribed it for anxiety, stress and severe pms. Has anyone else suffered the same problems??!!:::loopy::help:

Im on 20mg, taken every morning, i constantly feel sick, always tired, but have yet to have a full nights sleep since starting them 2 weeks ago, always seem to wake up numerous times in the night, always roughly at the same times. Also get palpatations, and just generally don't feel like doing anything at all, my memory has been almost non-existant, always forgetting things, even forgetting to eat at times!

Havent felt that theyre helping yet, was just told by the docs that it takes a few weeks for them to have an effect, and i will probably feel worse before i feel better :(

Many drugs take a while for your body to get used to them- it's just one of those things I'm afraid.

I'm a firm believer that particularly with mood affecting drugs, we will reach a stage where we know the normal concentrations of the chemicals in the brain and we will be able to change their levels back to normal with targetted drugs for particular hormone or chemical deficiencies.

Unfortunately, until this is possible, we'll have to continue with the 'sledgehammer to crack a walnut' approach that medicine has been using for the last 50 years.

This area definitely needs work. Some twatt tried to put my missus on anti-depressants on the strength that she had a short temper and got upset about it now and then. When I persuaded her not to take em and see a second doctor she was as dubious as I was (well, more horrified really as my assumptions were something she had a greater understanding of). She changed her pill, job done. Wife much more chilled out these days :)

I take Citalopram and I honestly have never had anything like the side effects your having. They make me yawn a bit and have sweats (on my face only?) I've been on them a few months now and I really feel like they are helping.

However, I'd take them till the end of the first course you've been given (usually 28 days) and if your still the same then get the Dr to change them.

I decided to come off these as they were making me feel worse. I wasnt sleeping and had constant headaches, my stomach was really bad I had diarrhea. Anyway, the doc has given me some other meds and referred me to the hostpital for blood tests for hormone imbalance.:hihi:

Archived