Citalopram Hydrobromide side effects

I have been taking Citalopram for over ten years, Has it done any good, l don't know but do wonder what l would be like without them, there is no answer to this.

I started to reduce my dosage of citalopram a few weeks ago and now i have stopped taking it all together (4 days now). Already i have started to sleep a little better and up to now i feel fine, but i suppose its still early days and only time will tell how i feel when its completly left my system. Im hoping im going to be the old person i used to be before i started with depression and taking antidepressants.

• 2 years later...
I've been on these for about 3 years now and I only get those effects when I forget to take them. My head sort of feels like that poster that Placebo brought out for their single, Meds I think it was called. I am on a fairly high dosage though. Otherwise they pretty much work for me; I don't feel as paranoid/anxious about stuff. You should give them about six weeks to take proper effect but if they make you feel ill after this then get your Doctor to offer you something else. I was on prozac to begin with and christ did they make me feel terrible.

I hv been on these for 6 years, I started on 20 mg, now on 40 mg, went to another doctor on Friday, he strongly recommended that I go off them, as it affects your heart long term... Well I dind take any for 4 days, my god my head was vibrating every 3 minuts even lying down.... Lucky I am off work, otherwise I woulnd be able to function, due to these headshakes, dizziness,and lost of balance.. Has anyone stopped them, and how long it takes until these headrushes disappear ?

Bit of an old thread this one but I was advised by a doctor that you should come off these gradually.

Whether this is true or not but, if you are taking Citalopram and you don't need them then stopping them will do you no harm. However, if you are taking them and you do still need them then stopping will send you cold turkey.

I was advised to stop them by taking them for two days out of three, then every other day, then every third day, etc. If I found a mood change then I wasn't ready to come off and to restart again. Had I just stopped them and found that I was not ready, re-starting the tablets would take a few days for them to take effect whereas restarting after attempting to come off by reducing the dose/frequency would give almost instant results.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyone who thinks that they are ready to come off any tablets should get advice off their doctor first.

Clara, I'm sorry to say that it took my OH almost 6 months to feel back to normal as a result of coming off them, and he was only on the 20mg strength.

On the other hand, I was taking 40mg and came off them in 2 weeks of reduction and felt no ill effects whatsoever (but then again, I came off them because I felt no good effects either!).

Archived