Matilda Tanks Ww2

katrina

The tanks were built at Newton Chambers in Chapeltown, the site has now been flattened, but a tank has been preserved, and still stands on the estate with a plaque on it. I had some detailed information on these in an old wartime book, but can't find it, if I do turn it up, will post any info on the site.

Apologies Katrina! Newton Chambers made the Churchill tank, not the Matilda, it is in fact a Churchill tank displayed there. The Matilda was actually made by Vulcan foundry in Warrington, but a lot of contracting out was done during the war years, Edgar Allen made some 270 turrets for Matilda's, and other firms made armour plate.

It is even possible some were assembled in Sheffield, but I can't find any ref to this. It is possible your grandfather worked for one of the firms like Edgar Allen who had a major role in the production of these tanks.

Just for interest, this is the spec of the Matilda, it was a small tank with 4 crew, it was powered by two A.E.C. diesel engines of 87hp, had a 2pounder gun and one 7.92 machine gun, a range of 160 miles, and a top speed of 15mph. Larger, more powerful tanks like the Churchill superseded it as the war progressed.

If I find any more about the Sheffield connection, will let you know.

Originally posted by little malc

The tanks were built at Newton Chambers in Chapeltown, the site has now been flattened, but a tank has been preserved, and still stands on the estate with a plaque on it. I had some detailed information on these in an old wartime book, but can't find it, if I do turn it up, will post any info on the site.

thanks a lot malc. ive been trying to get to know what he recieved his bem for, which i now know was for his work on the matilda tanks. he was a moulder for edgar allen at the time. i can now look into military records for any other info.

Originally posted by little malc

Hi! Katrina, if he was a moulder at Edgar allans, then he will almost certainly have made the molds for the tank turret, this will have been one hell of a big job, no wonder he was recognised for his work, he sounds like a grandad to be proud of.

he most certainly was a grandad to be proud of. my dad (cyril) was a moulder as well. he worked for samuel osbornes for many years.

• 6 years later...

Went looking recently for the Churchill Tank that was on display.

No longer there.:o

I am fairly sure I was in the right place. Off M1 jcn35a, turn on to Thorncliffe Road then it should have been on the right hand side.:confused:

Anyone know what has happened to this tank?

Did it not appear in the last TV series that the late Fred Dibnah made?

Archived